BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....Im getting ready to buy a few TLD 30 IIAs. Question is....i want to use them along with my 3 Okuma 50W IIs in my trolling spread. I want to get alot a line on them. I want to spool with braid then put a 100 yd top shot of mono on them. Are the TLDs ok to use with braid?? If so....how much braid should I put on and what pound mono top shot should I use. Also, is it ok to go braid, mono top shot, then a 25 yd wind on leader?? Not too familiar with wind ons so Im not sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Many on here with know better than me, but with the tlds I think you're more limited by the amount of drag the frame can withstand rather than what type of line works on the spool..

on a tld 30, in my opinion, 12 or so pounds of drag at strike is plenty in most situations...at that setting a 50lb test topshot would work very well and you'd have plenty of capacity with 80# hollow braid backing..

Unless someone very capable is at the rod, we only fish 16 pounds of drag with 80 pound test on our 50VSWs... we've noticed most people tire faster than the fish above that setting..

If drags on the lighter side don't work and you want to produce a lot of drag from a compact reel you're better off with a metal frame..

you'll be fine with the wind-ons..

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'm planning to spool my TLD 20IIAs with 300 yds of 65lb power pro and 30lb Diamond on top. The Diamond is heavy line (breaks close to 50 lbs). I expect the 20s will take about 150 yrds of mono on top of the braid. With the 30s, you'll get about 35-40% more line capacity. The two reels are identical except width. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
As usual, Capt. Stew from the Pez Machine is correct.

Certain anglers on long-range trips out of San Diego have cracked graphite frames on Shimano TLD reels. However, they also had over 30# of drag on a reel better suited to fishing 30 or 50# mono, rather than 100# braid.

As many, many posts on this site indicate, if you are worried about fishing heavy drag on TLDs, there are other metal framed reels that will serve you better.

You may want to keep the line with which you fill your TLDs closer to their intended purpose, rather than pushing the frame too far (ie fishing 65# braid with a heavy top shot). You're only setting yourself up for dissapointment. That's why TLDs make excellent white marlin reels, but Floridians still use Penn Senators for grouper fishing.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
This is what can happen

We did not have loads of drag on this one and now have all our TLD's For Sale starting very soon as we no longer use them offshore at all. This happened to a freind also this fall on a TLD 50 LRS. We have gone to all Shimano Tiagra 30WLRS, a few 50WLRS or special trolling situations, Ti16's and Penn Torque 300's. No more graphite framed reels as we use all JB spectra (not power pro) with mono top shots now. Good quality mono on the TLD series is the way to go in my opinion. Shimano in Irvine, CA has been great and replaced any reel we had a problem with free of charge no questions asked. I used the TLD series for years with no problems until we started using spectra on them.

One that blew apart last summer in the Lindy on a tuna or sword when the fish ran forward towards the bow. I believe you will not have any problems with the TLD series if you use mono line and only a nasty Thresher or good sized bluefin will do this to your reel.

·
Registered
31,378 Posts
Braid is great to get you more line capacity but it's still a graphite frame reel. Don't push them too far and they'll last a long, long time. They're good for 50lb line drag wise (25-33%). Use 65lb braid because 50lb is too thin IMO

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
It looks horrific!! Hey stew good luck with the new boat this year! you still going to be in barnegat light next to ed?!?1

i need a ride on that thing! i heard from your buddy you are booking up fast!!

Got any opening?!?! lol

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Stew

Stew: I believe the angler was in a OTR harness and Smitty Ex large Belt with the release straps locked to the reel. We normally do not put out any graphite reels unless we are have a longfin or smaller yellowfin bite going on and only use the Braid Brute Buster Belt with out the quick release snap attached to the reel. In this case my mate put out the TLD 50 up high in the water column intended for a tuna and I think a sword must have ate the live squid. We put the angler in the full OTR harness and with the large Smitty belt as soon as we realized this was not a 45 lb longfin. I think the drag was set at 16 or 18 lbs that night. We have caught many bluefin in the 80-125 lb range on TLD 50's and even on the 30's in the past using the Braid Power Play belt and harness locked to the reel but we always had mono not braid on our reels. This reel had 80 lb JB spectra with 80 lb top shot of mono I believe. Overall I have had great success with the TLD reels but in this case it could not handle the torque when the fish darted forwarded toward the bow with the angler in the full harness. Live and learn.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Can seel them anytime

I have to go out in garage and see how many and what models TLD's I have. I am willing to sell anytime and I just need to figure out a fair price and exactly what I have. I will be heading down to MHC and then out to Calf soon if interested. I also have a bunch of other inshore spinners and rods to sell that are mosty Penn's but some Shimano also.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the good tips guys.... I am planning on using lighter weight braid, probably around 65lb and 50lb mono top shot at most. I will keep the drag set lite like you guys suggest. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Captain's John & Diana said:
We did not have loads of drag on this one ... I used the TLD series for years with no problems until we started using spectra on them.

One that blew apart last summer in the Lindy on a tuna or sword when the fish ran forward towards the bow. I believe you will not have any problems with the TLD series if you use mono line and only a nasty Thresher or good sized bluefin will do this to your reel.

We should all be so lucky to face a fish that will destroy a toy with such ease. Thanks for the photographic evidence.

Do you use the thirty wides or fifty wides on your short bent-but rods for bluefin chunking?

·
Registered
928 Posts
cabelas has a great sale on tld 2speeds 20 and 30 239.00 for the two speed 30's normally 309.00

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Portly Redhead

Our world for inshore bluefin changed drastically last season. We know longer chunk for inshore bluefin as we have gone strictly to trolling and jigging. We prefer trolling as it allows us to get away from the popular hills that draw so many boats and make the bite so very difficult with the big fleets that gather especially on holiday and weekends. We only chunked once last season inshore for bluefin as we now prefer jigging over chunking. We do still chunk at night in the canyons and use mostly Shimano Tirgra Ti30WLRS, Shimano Ti16's, Penn 16VSX and Torque TRQ300's reels all loaded with 80 JB hollow core spectra and mono top shots. Light weight powerful reels with one piece aluminum frames is our choice for reels now. I may load some of these reels with the newer colored coded line this year instead of the hollow core spectra so we can be very accurate how deep are jigs go down but now we just mark the line with rigging floss every 50 feet or so. We put out the Tiagra 50WLRS with 100 lb spectra and mono top shots on short bent butts when fishing behind scallop boat and occasionally if the tuna are pushing 175 lbs or more we go to the Penn or Shimano 80's with JB spectra on bent butts to really put the head on the tuna to pull them away from the scallop boats gear. I do believe the TLD series reels with graphite frames were not designed for spectra type lines and using good quality mono is the way to go. We caught a lot of good sized bluefin and sharks through the years and never came close to being spooled with 60 lb mono on the TLD 50's and 50 lb mono on the 30's. We now do the wwwwwwwwback thing trolling inshore for bluefin 100% of the time plus running large deep planners and inline 3-4 lb cigar weights for wahoo which we use the Tiagra 30-50's only. The TLD 50's will handle any wahoo you will ever catch in our waters so they should be just fine with 50-60 lb mono but since we use the inline heavy cigar weights for wahoo we prefer a aluminum framed reel. With the limit on two bluefin per trip this coming season we plan to do a lot more wahoo trolling after catching our two legal tuna and and working on setting up for this at the present time. We need the extra line capacity of the Tiagra 50WLRS or Penn 50 VSW that hollow core spectra gives us to fish our shotgun wwwwwwwwwwwback baits behind the boat. Using mono does not allow this as you will get spooled on a good sized bluefin as there is just not enough line left on the reels do to how far back we position our wwwwwwwback baits. We use bent butt 80's for this also but mostly 50's with spectra as we fight everything stand-up. Other than the wwwwwwback thing everything is 30 class with spectra trolling. I love the Shimano 16 class reels for chunking and now have quite afew onboard for this and would say it is our primary chunking reel if we decide to chunk bluefin this coming summer but jigging is what we prefer if we are not trolling these days.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
we've been fishing tld 30's with straight mono for the past 8 years... and dont have any mechanical flaws or reel problems, now remember this is a graphite reel and your tackleing big fish, it is not wise to put the strain on the reels in the form of braided lines.. this is a tld 30 your not going to go out and throw 25lbs of pressure on the reels constitanly there just not made for that kind of fishing.. the tld 30 is rated for 450yards of 40lb line and 600 of 30.. it is no problem for me to spool mamoi high vis 40 all the way to 600yards.. you just cant be afraid to load it up, (and must be careful when on the reel fighting). if you need more line then that there may be some succnificent issues haha.. but all in all the tld 30II has been a fantastic reel for us. the tiagra 30 is also an excellent reel love the shimano drag system, but its alot heavier reel then the tld.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just curious, I have 6 TLD50LRS reels for about 6 years spooled with 80 # mono, with drag set at 22#. I love those reels and they have handled a lot of fish. Is the "strain" from Braid being caused by "no stretch" or by pushing up the drag setting. I would think that if drag is set and not screwed with that the strain from mono and braid would be the same. However, stretch in mono would tend to absorb impact loads from sudden movements of fish. Braid not stretching would not cushion that load. Help me understand what's going on. I don't plan to go to braid for offshore reels, but I would like to understand what's happening.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts