BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought one of these last week from tackle direct,anyone got any feed back for this rod?I got a penn 7500ss spooled with 50 lb power pro on it.Its a jig rod but im going to use it for flounder and stripper because i have no idea about jigging lol.I hear a lot guys talking and it seems this type of fishing sounds fun and my next step is to get me one of those stella 2000sw.But suppose i hooked into something big what can this little kinny rod handle thats thinner than a pencil and says 65 pound test braid up too!this things bends tip to tip,and got a counter lifetime warranty:bow:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have 3 of those rods. I have shimano torsa 14's on 2 of them and 1 with a torsa 16. I have them strung with 50 lb power pro. Good rods for jigging or trolling stripers. They look thin but they have a good backbone at the base. You can definitely land some big fish with them but they are so light I use them for deep water fluke on the reefs too. They are stiff enough to troll umbrella rigs for stripers also. Real good all around rod for the money.

·
Registered
946 Posts
for the money they are nice rods, they are very light and will hold up to soem pretty quailty fish, once you starting climbing the weight later on fish size they start to have issues. But for most inshore game they are all you need.

·
Registered
827 Posts
bought one of these last week from tackle direct,anyone got any feed back for this rod?I got a penn 7500ss spooled with 50 lb power pro on it.Its a jig rod but im going to use it for flounder and stripper because i have no idea about jigging lol.I hear a lot guys talking and it seems this type of fishing sounds fun and my next step is to get me one of those stella 2000sw.But suppose i hooked into something big what can this little kinny rod handle thats thinner than a pencil and says 65 pound test braid up too!this things bends tip to tip,and got a counter lifetime warranty:bow:

DIAMOND ---- I bought two last Summer and I was very skeptical. Put the Fin Nor reels. Color coded braid 50. Jigged up several 40 - 70 pound yellow fin on the no problem . I HATE JIGGING --- Not anymore these travalas have converted me. So light - so easy to handle. Just bought 10 jigs from Palmer -(Bass barner) for $10.00 less then the Shamano butterflys.

Used them for Jigging bass in the fall --- all around set ups.:thumbsup:

DID YOU GET THE SHIMANO TRAVALA TUTORIAL CD ROM? 20 minute video tells you all you need to know about that set up.

USE IT FOR JIGGING !!!!!! So easy I can do it.....
GOOD LUCK - TIGHT LINES:wave:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
DIAMOND ---- I bought two last Summer and I was very skeptical. Put the Fin Nor reels. Color coded braid 50. Jigged up several 40 - 70 pound yellow fin on the no problem . I HATE JIGGING --- Not anymore these travalas have converted me. So light - so easy to handle. Just bought 10 jigs from Palmer -(Bass barner) for $10.00 less then the Shamano butterflys.

Used them for Jigging bass in the fall --- all around set ups.:thumbsup:

DID YOU GET THE SHIMANO TRAVALA TUTORIAL CD ROM? 20 minute video tells you all you need to know about that set up.

USE IT FOR JIGGING !!!!!! So easy I can do it.....
GOOD LUCK - TIGHT LINES:wave:

yea i need to learn some of these tuna jigging techniques fast!!!!ill grab some of them from palmer.one question what kind of leader do you tie to these jigs .I asume you use strong flouro,but let me know?

·
Registered
827 Posts
yea i need to learn some of these tuna jigging techniques fast!!!!ill grab some of them from palmer.one question what kind of leader do you tie to these jigs .I asume you use strong flouro,but let me know?
I think have a 15 foot top shot of 40lb fluro on both reels. Dave at the reel seat Brielle set them up for me. Call and ask what he put -- nice guy he will tell you.

Go to the Shimano travala site Butterfly jigs. --- they have a way that you put a ball bearing barrel swivel on that I never did but all my butterflys now will.

I use to just tie direct in between the hooks.. Worked --- but this ball bearing swivil looks safer if a bigger fish is sniffing.

GET THE CD FROM TRAVALA SHIMANO on how to use the rods. THE CD CAME FREE WITH MY RODS.--- IF YOU CAN't FIND ONE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL MAKE YOU A COPY OF MINE.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts

If you are jigging for tuna, you might like tying a bimini twist and then go loop to loop with a wind on leader. I have 80 lb Daiwa Boat Braid on both my Trevala's with Torium 16 and 20. You can use flouro if you want,but not usually necessary. Last season I tied directly to the jig,but since my popping trip to Panama I might use a Spro swivel and split ring this season.

·
Registered
123 Posts
While we're on the subject of trevala rods I have 2 spinning outfits. One is a medium and the other is a medium heavy, does anyone know the maximum recommended drag pressure these rods can handle?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.