BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im possibly looking at a boat in fl, a sport fisher with tuna tower from a private seller. I know nothing about the shipping/delivery process of a 31' sport fisher with a tuna tower. I know some of you guys have done this, so how does it work? And what am I looking at ballpark $$ wise? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
do it yourself

5 days give eor take 31 is big enuff for 3 stop every nite we did it it was great hit fryingpan shoal on the way up loaded with king mackerel the trip of a life if the wx is good you can stay outside

·
Registered
489 Posts
Run it yourself on the outside. I took delivery of a 36 Luhrs over 4th of July. I did the math, shipping made no sense especially with the tower. I was quoted $1300 to drop the tower (never got a quote to re-install) plus shipping. We spent 2 15 hour days changing out throttle and shifter cables, upgrading electronics and did the 690nm trip from Jacksonville Beach to Cape May, NJ in 36 and 15 min straight thru. We stopped in Charleston and Hatteras.

Just around 900-950 gallons and just under $4000. If you don't feel comfortable, hire a captain at ~$350 per day.

It was quite an adventure that I can check off the list

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
One piece tower I assume? You can investigate the cost to have it taken apart for shipping but it's probably not cheap. Plus you have to figure in cost to put it all back together in NJ. Most likely better to run it on it's own bottom. What's the boat, what does she cruise at and what engines / fuel burn. Knowing all that will make it pretty easy to figure out the cost.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Cost me $2,600 to bring my 34 Sea Vee from Miami to Sea Isle. The company was Unique Marine Transport. I can dig up the contact info if you need it. Just send me an e-mail.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Do yourself a favor take a week off and run her up the coast , take your time and enjoy it I have done nantucket to key west best vacations I have ever had went with my wife and father,and kids .never met so many nice people

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Do yourself a favor take a week off and run her up the coast , take your time and enjoy it I have done nantucket to key west best vacations I have ever had went with my wife and father,and kids .never met so many nice people
Very good advice. Take a captain along if you need to. Many of my customers have done this trip for the first time with a new boat and really enjoyed the experience.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I helped bring a boat up from Tampa to the Sandy hook area. It was a 38 Blackfin and we had perfect weather the entire trip. We had some fuel issues because the boat was sitting for some time before the sale. I would do it again in a heartbeat! Grab your gear and drive that baby up here!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! If I pull the trigger, I'll run her up myself. It's the best way to get to know the new rig and I'll fly my tuna gear down and make a vacation out of it. Thanks for all the input, I thought I might be easier to ship it, but afeter reading all this and doing some homework running it up myself would be easiest.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I purchased a 31 Cabo in Fort Pierce 3 years ago. I hired a competent , highly recommended captain and mate out of Cape May to bring the boat up.
Prior to the trip we discussed and estimated cost and duration. From the captains expierence from making this trip numerous times he estimated 5 to 6 days . My combined cost of Captain and mate was $500 day plus meals/provisions as well as docking fees each night , flights down and of course fuel.
We estimated $6000
THe only wild card was that we were starting the trip on December 26 and winter weather was unpredictable.
We spent the first day in Ft Pierce going over the boat. Second day as we headed north, we made it as far as Cape Canaveral before the rough seas and winds forced us to continue north via the intercoastal/river system
I hopped off after a few days
The next 9 days were spent ducking in and out of the intracoastal.
Coming across Albermarle Sound we almost lost the boat as we had freezing rain that was forming a thick ice coating over the whole boat and weighing us down and causing water to start to flow back in the scuppers
To make a long story short, 11 days later we safely made it to Cape May.
Cost of the trip $13,800
Duration 13 days including travel
Lesson Learned.....Do not try to transport a boat north in the winter
I am not trying to discourage you at all, just wait until spring or summer to do it
Its a great way to learn all about your new boat

·
Registered
192 Posts
Shipping boat

Hello I own the Capt Robbins in Sea Isle City and have made the trip to and from Fla. many times for people with their boat. We get $300 a day plus expenses it take about a week depending on weather and speed of boat 10 to 14 days at 10 knots. Depending on inside or running outside is faster. If you need help let me know we can help Capt Victor 609-780-6362

·
Registered
77 Posts
Boat transit

I would like to help you with the transit. Call and let's discuss it.
Captain Steve - USCG 50ton Master
609 828 0817

·
Registered
77 Posts
Boat transit

I would like to help with your transit. Please call so we can discuss it.
Captain Steve - USCG 50 ton Master
609 828 0817

·
Registered
247 Posts
i would recomend that u google boat hauling, u will find websites that will give your info to several haulers who will then bid to get your job. i did this 2 years ago for a 23 ft mako which i bought from ebay. this was by far the cheapest/ easiest way to go. i paid less than it would cost me in gas to make the round trip from pa. if you want the exact site email me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts