BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble tying a good,strong,and easy knot with 17#line to 40# shocker leader,anyone have any idea on a good knot to use. tried 3 or 4 different knots all with the same results (breaks easily), help would be appreciated. Thanks..... Bambino

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
for mono to mono I used clinch knots, try wetting the line around the knots before you tighten them

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Slim Beauty knot. Made exactly for this application. Fly guy's use it all the time, easy and almost 100 %. Google animated knots and see it done. Once you try it you'll love it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Alberto for braid to mono.

I would never use a blood knot for a braid-mono connection. I do like it for mono to mono.

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
maybe its the glue holdin not my actiual knot :eek:i better change my tacticks thanks just been lucky i guess :bow:
What busts first when you hit a snag?

RyanF

·
Registered
384 Posts
My suggestion is: whatelse, a shocker knot.

Search Google & click on #1 to a certain NC outfitters link. I've found it to be the most simple leader knot connection for smaller mainline(s) tied to a larger diameter shock leader(s). Works for mono, fluro. and braid. Best of luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
try Albright as detailed below

I had same problem when I started using shocker for baitfishing. For Mono-Mono I was recommended the Albright by several sources but couldn't get a good knot that wouldn't retain strenght after tightening - would break with bare hands. Plus even with wetting the knot with saliva I was having tough time getting the knot to form nicely.
This is what worked for me. Add some warm water and liquid dish soap to a small bowl. Follow the instructions on the attached link:
http://www.flyfishlouisiana.com/knot_albright.htm
Before you cinch down on the knot, dip the whole thing in the soapy water and slowly tighten following the instructions. the first time I did it with soapy water the knot formed beautifully. Dry the knot, clip the tag end, and put some tension on the line (run the shocker between a few heavy books or tie the end to something) then cover the knot with super glue. Let it dry overnight. I've landed multiple 40+ pound blacktip reef sharks off the beach with no breakage. Once you get the hang of the Albright you won't need the dish soap anymore.
Mono-braid connection its the Alberto knot hands down.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
shocker knot

My suggestion is: whatelse, a shocker knot.

Search Google & click on #1 to a certain NC outfitters link. I've found it to be the most simple leader knot connection for smaller mainline(s) tied to a larger diameter shock leader(s). Works for mono, fluro. and braid. Best of luck!

Shockerknot, What google search site do you go to,to a certain NC outfitters link ? :confused:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.