BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody use shooting heads around here? i'm contemplating buying a shooting head system to replace the intermediate line that i'm using now.

pros:
-carry all heads in a small bag instead of carrying multipe spools.
-cheap, about $20 or so for the running line, and about $25 for the various heads.
-distance (?). i'm not sure if a head system will give me a lot more distance, or be easier to control, but that's what i've read as a benefit

cons:
-i've never used a shooting head system, so i don't know if i'd like it or not.
-hinge effect where the head meets the running line (is this a problem)
-i will have to alter my casting style to cast the heads, or so i've read.

what do you guys thing? i usually wear a chest pack, loaded with flies, pliers, keys, flashlight, extra spools, and a file. i'd like to get to a system of a fly wallet, pliers and file in a sheath, headlight, and a wallet full of shooting heads. what do you guys think? does anyone around here have a shooting head system that they would let me cast?

thanks.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Joe,
The system I've seen Steve F use is by far the best. He uses a fairly inexpensive set-up, too. The running line is made by Climax (it's orange and is like $20), and he either makes his own heads out of old lines or buys heads (I think Rio, I'm not sure). I don't want to speak for him, but I've seen him use it and it casts like a dream. Pre-made set-ups are too $$, IMO.

If you can cast a full sinking line, you can cast a shooting head. I've casted both and the hinging effect is about the same.

[ 02-23-2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've used them for many years. One of my original systems is an Elite braided mono running line and a couple of different Cortland heads. I never had as many tangles with the braided line as with the Teeny lines but maybe it's just me. I think the secret is to be able to find out at what length the head casts best and don't be afraid to cut it down. I don't really know how to establish a baseline length. I think Frank Mihalic can help you with this. I know your're a do-it-yourselfer;) but I think Rio, Airflo, etc make some nice systems. As far as casting, it's different, not bad, just different. Slow down, open the loop. Not much false casting just get the head out of the tip a foot or two and let it fly.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Doyle This has come up before & here is my .03cents, Shooting heads cast like a mother***. My first over 120ft cast was done with someone's else shooting head system with one backcast(I did lose the bet) We all went for them in the early 70's for all the pros you mentioned, however the one big con that you didn't mention is the running line feels LOUSY. Have used everything,including a level 2 wgt. & I & we put them away. I know some, mostly West Coast use & love them, but the "feel" of that running line really kills it for me, & a few of the others who are left. If you can wait until June, I think I could find a few heads if you still wanted to try.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
If I am fishing unfamiliar waters or conditions, I always have a SH on one reel.Always a quick change option available..but, like Sparse, I do not prefer to cast a shooting head all day long if I don't have to.
If you need any help with heads, weights, or lenths...just ask!
I preferr the cortland braided momo running line that Steve Farrar showed me some time ago.
20lb makes a nice running line. I also have a and AirFlo running line a SH System...The running line shoots well, but has alot of memory. The braided mono does not...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts