BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got 4 penn reels in and im going to use one for surf and of course the others are my dads:rolleyes: im wondering if i should use braid if so what lb test. or mono and what lb test anything helps im sure some will look and might not answer but id like if you did thanks

Kevin:cool:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Like a bullet use it on both pluggin and bait rods.Also use 65# 0n conv 525 mag .since going to 50 And 65 # pp have had fewer wind knots and backlashes than i had with lighter #test pp.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Are you going to be slinging bait or plugging? If bait, #50 braid is good - casts much fuether than mono and you can feel a tap. I use #30 on my plugging setup for woods - many use #50. I use #20 on my lighter plugging set ups for plugging with bombers and such. As long as the drag is set properly, I've never had a proplem going lighter. The only mono I am using anymore is about 10 raps on the spool to keep the braid from spinning.

How's it going Gene?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
shimwhite said:
i just got 4 penn reels in and im going to use one for surf and of course the others are my dads:rolleyes: im wondering if i should use braid if so what lb test. or mono and what lb test anything helps im sure some will look and might not answer but id like if you did thanks

Kevin:cool:
What reels did you get?? It will help you get some more answers

·
Registered
815 Posts
Depends on the size of the reels..For my bait rod(11' with a big reel) I use 65lb power pro...for my plugging rod I use 30lb power pro and no wind knots....on my 7' small plug rod I have 20lb power pro....hope this helps

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
40# (if you can find it) for the 9ftrs
30# for the 8ftr
20# for the 7ftr
Power pro and all for pluggin. I can honestly say that I've only got 3 wind knots ever on the sand. Only lost one lure to the sea (a big bites:mad: and that thing is somewhere in England:eek:)

·
Registered
791 Posts
like said before. i use 50# for bait and 30# for plugging. this is a good rule of thumb.

once you use braid you won't go back too mono..:D

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Braid, I use it for everything even sweet water.As far as the Lb test goes 30lb 8' rod throwin
50lb bait stick
20 lb 6' spinner back

the only difference is I like Stren hd braid for the 50 lb/30lb and for the 20 I've been usin fireline. I'm gonna give the suffix line a shot this spring I've heard alot of good things about it.I think I still have 2 reels w/ power pro on them I just found the fire line is more abrasion resistant. The Stren seems to get less wind knots castin. A couple of good bud's have been usin the suffix and love it.I'm gonna spool up with some on my 2 spool reels and do a side by side comparison.Anybody here use the suffix???

FC:D

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Joe D. said:
Okay, here's a stupid question. Why do you use heavier braid for bait and lighter for plugging?
Whats heavier a plug or 8 and bait? That should help you answer your question...Also, no question is a stupid question. If ya dont know an answer to something its better to ask then to ASSume:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have 30 on my 9 ftr and 40 on my 10 ftr, mono on reel and braid tied to the mono. all i do is throw lures, and i have a ssg 550 pen and a coronado okuma cd-50.

i was at wall mart in rio grande last night and they had power pro, 20, 30, 40, and i want to say 50 i'm not sure about the 50, but the had red, white, and green colors there, i usually just find green every whrere.

what cs striper said im always asking questions some may sound silly but i'd rather sound foolish here at the barn and get set straight so i am doing my best out there in the surf. later

have a great day

castaway

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with most on here- 50# braid if throwing bait with 3-8 oz weights. I'm a plugger- I use 30# sufix braid on all my setups- works very well for me. I don't care for Power pro but that's just my preference. Just make sure to get a finger guard(leather) or wrap your finger with medical tape. You can get a roll at any cvs, rite aid, or grocery store for about 3 bucks- should last a couple seasons too. The reason being is that braid is much thinner than mono and when the fibers get wet it almost acts like wire and can cut pretty good. Then again, my fingers will cut up sometimes with mono so I think everyone is different there. I would just recommend a pc. of tape or two when fishing braid.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
shimwhite said:
how good does 50 lb power pro cast??
Super, its equal to 12lb mono. I use 50lb PP on a 704z. That darn reel fitted 400 yards of it.

I put 40lb on a Slammer 460, and 3500 and 4500 Baitrunners.

Spheros 4000 gets 30lb

Small backbay reels get 20lb

I can honestly say, I will never use mono again. For me there is no choice, its PP all the way for everything. For flounder fishing, IMHO, its mandatory...djc.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
"Once you go pro you never go back to mono"

I also wanted to add, it depends on what type of fishing your using as to what size braid. No matter how you look at though the answer to your question is braid all the way.

On my heavier rod with the 704z I have 50lb PP, but its used for fishing with 2-4oz plugs with 60-80lb leaders, at night off of rocks in North Jersey. I just wouldn't feel confident with the super thin 30lb braid around those rocks, when targeting cows, not me. Even a 8-20 foot leader means nothing when a bass dives straight down to the bottom to the rocks, by then its your braid chafing, not the leader. Just my take, hope this helps.

My medium setup and off the beach, is a 9ft plugging outfit rated 1-4, I use 40lb..

8ft light plugging rod with 30lb PP for small plugs in the surf

I wouldn't think of going lighter in the surf, back bay ok.

The above info coincides with targeting big stripers. Other species, I may go lighter. Weakies, I'm using 20lb PP with 1/8oz to 1/4 oz jigs...djc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts