BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I rented a boat in serch of the flatfish this morning.First we hit the sod banks with pink fin-s and I hooked up quick with a healthy little 20" bass.Started drifting for fluke in skinny water and I caught 2 shorts,my buddy was using two rods while one got tangled his pink fin-s was deadsticking when a 29" 9.75lb bass grabbed a hold of it.He also picked up a 2lb blue about noon.Also saw something very disturbing today when our motor gave us a little trouble we drifted into a commercial crab pot that got tangled in the motor.Since the water was low I could see there were at least 6 dead diamondback Terrapins(spelling)floating around with crabs that were feasting on them.What's up with that?I've seen more terrapins in the back waters this year than in years past,but isn't there some regulations on crab pot opening dimensions?Anyway it really PI$$ed me off to see such waste.

G

·
CD, thanx for the report. sounds like a good day with the exception of the turtles. to answer your question YES comm. crab traps should have a special device to prevent turtles from entering the trap. each crab pot should have a name and address of who owns it. you could pass that info on to fish&game and they could do a check to make sure all crab pots are in accordance with the regulations. also be sure to give him precise details of WHERE this occured. theres a lot of water out there.
Nick

·
Registered
276 Posts
I saw the Turtle police putting up some silt fence this weekend on Ocean drive. Just let them know as well and they are more likely to do something or make a fuss about getting the F&G's involved. They are usually wearing yellow shirts with pics of Turtles on them.

Also, if you are in that area please slow down. I saw 4 squashed this weekend. The Island will still be there 30 seconds after you arrive. I am not sure why people are in such a hurry coming in to Sea Isle. I had this chick yelling at me from my bumper putting her hand up flashing 5 digits twice letting me know its 55, since I was slowing down for a turtle, I just flashed one digit back.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Nice fish'n report. I hate when I see dead turtles, you mean to tell me no one can slow down for them. I saw one dead/half smushed on the side of the road by Avalon Manor last year, got out to check the little guy out, shell was crushed and open and to make things worse it was still alive. My fiance asked me If i could put it out of its misery and I said I could but knowing my luck some one would see me and report me for harming the turtle, so I just set him on the grass on the side of the road. Got me mad, the pseed limit there is only 25MPH and someone ran over that turtle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Went out yesterday from SIC, 4 fluke, 2 keepers, 6 blues, 1-2 #'s. Nice day on the water until the storm hit. One short fluke from Ludlam had a red slime mark on it's white side. We were careful not to touch it before releasing it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Fished the sic surf sat/sun plenty of sharks, one slot bass, and what im guessing was bigger blues that cut through my rigs four times. Went back with wire leader but by then,of course they were gone.Oh yeah put two street walking turtles out to the bay with my four year old son! Good times!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I caught enough sharks this weekend for everyone to have. No luck on any other fish. Going to try at night this weekend. Good luck everyone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts