1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a article about Stalking Skinny-Water
Striped Bass in the New Issue of SWS...
It primiarly focused on fishing the flats around
LongIsland N.Y.,CapeCod Bay Mass. & Rhode Island.
Very Interesting....
I know we have some similiar area's both accessible by Boat and Land in South Jersey...

MY question is, Do any of our members target
Striped Bass this way by seeing your target
swimming along,doing its thing,then making
the perfect cast and watching the fish react
and attack?

What are some of the things/signs that you
look for? What Tides,Time of Day,Conditions etc.
How About Fly Gear or Spinning ?

Thanks,

[ 04-13-2004, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Night - when the conditions are right the backside of IBSP allows one to sight cast for bass and weakfish.

Last spring I ran into a situation where bass & weaks where on the flats during the flood tide chasing spearing.

I anchored my kayak and tossed Surf Candies (Bob Popovics fly) to the bass and weaks and had one of the best days I've had back there.

Nothing of considerable size but it was a blast to be able to sightfish in NJ.

At one point I had bass and weaks swimming within 3 feet of me. Very cool.

I have a guided trip to fly fish Monomoy Island Mass the last week of May. Hope to get into some good sight fishing. Then I'll be back up at the Cape June 12-19th with my kayak.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah, there is one area of IBSP on the ocean side where the water is clear and shallow and loaded with mole crabs and calicos.

I'm not going to tell you where, only that it exists. It's pretty sweet to bang a 34" fish on the fly right in front of the deadstickers.

You need a declining sun and a west wind to fish the surf--also small (up to 3.5') surf in neat swells, not all ragged and random.

You also need to be willing to walk miles of beach with bugs in your @#$%, looking to the right and focusing on bottom shadows and muds the whole time. This will put a crick in yer neck, I tell ya. (maybe I should walk south some and look to the left a little).

I have only sight-fished to stripers eating crabs in the summer, so I don't know about the fishing Mullaney is up to.

Brian--any space on the Cape trip?

Talk to our sweetie yet? Gardiner's supposedly has bonny sight-fishing, and Ms. Switzer is the local hot-rod.

·
Registered
426 Posts
NS,sight fishing is a very exciting way to fish.It does however have its moments of fustration.Nothing worse than making a perfect cast to a fish you have been watching get within range for a 1/2 hr only to bolt away from your offering.Our flats in south part of state have bottom composition that make spoting fish fairly easy,provided winds are not too strong or constant.Light wind helps if fish are skittish, they can,t see us as well.I prefer top of out-going tide as you know will push bait to waiting fish.Sometimes you are better staking out a known fish proudcing area,other times you can hunt them by slowly working a flat that has bait schools visable.Either way a soft presention is a must.Texas rigged fin-s,zooms and the like are deadly,as are most reliable fly patterns in calm conditions.Swimming plugs also shine here, provided surface is a little rippled and forage is on the large side.Early season fishing I'm looking for a noon to 2pm high tide on a sunny day.Lots of other things to consider,don't throw long shadows toward fish,close bail before lure hits water to cause less splash,cut down on number of false casts andkeep them lower with long rod and absolutly no noise in boat.It is very rewarding when you connect however,as even a small fish fights very,very well in 18in of water.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Mouth of the Tuckahoe and Great Egg is excellent for this. I throw small plugs, dawn or dusk. It's a Fly-guys heaven. they have been doing it for some time now, I think there is even a guy who charters there.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Steve,
I had a little success on certain nights down here with that style, all my situations the bass have been on spearing that theyve pushed all the way against the grass...Its dark so I dont try to see a "fish" acutally, but I look for how a fish changes the water around it. Mostly "pushing" the water...usually something will just look a little "out of place". Sometimes theres just a shadow, or the tip of a fin waking across the surface...Its usually sutle, so I never go fishing now without my glasses! My go to lure here has been a little Redfin, or a 1/8th once Flats style bucktail jig. It is COOL STUFF when it happens.

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
There were some flats off of Barnegat we sightfished last year when the bait was spilling off the edge on the first move of the outgoing... maybe the most amazing action of the year...we were just talking about it the other day among my buddies in one of those "best of last year" talks you have when you are freezing your azz off in April instead of fishing.

I take a flyfishing trip to Monomoy at the Cape every year to sight fish bass on the white sand flats... it is like bonefishing for ghosts.. truly amazing...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
We catch many of our fish this way. Wheter it's spying them from a bridge or casting at a swirl. This technique is best way to fill your creel that I know!

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
Brian.. this will be the third year we go.. have a friend from Mass that meets us with his carolina skiff that we fish the flats with... when the conditions are right we drop one guy in his waders, and rotate using the boat. It is a really amazing experience that everyone that fishes should do at least once (like you could ever NOT go back)... and if you flyfish, it is truly the max..

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
This is the main reason I started to flyfish the salt. I became extremely frustrated by fish pounding bait literally all around me and at times, I was unable to buy a fish.

Summertime has been the best time to site fish especially at dawn & dusk. Using flies or small plugs can be deadly when the spearing and mullet are stacked up along the beaches.

I can't wait to experience it again. C'mon warm weather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.