BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tied a few on wide gap hooks and they came out really nice, even added a little lateral scale on the sides, however upon a test in the sink, they do not float, but descend slowly. Is there a way to make them float better? Is it a matter of globing on more silicone, to ofset the weight of the hook?-Chris

[ 02-04-2005, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: leedz49 ]

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Ones I have made seem to do the same. Fish seem to like them. I like the fact that they are under the surface, when I strip them in. I use poppers for surface action. Maybe someone will have an idea for more floatation.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You raise a good point there Ray. I guess a banger would be a better topwater option. I'm thinking that a silicone with a slanted formed head would act like a floater/diver.

[ 02-04-2005, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: leedz49 ]

·
Registered
102 Posts
I tie mine out of Polar Plus rather than wool, and once the silicone has set up I treat them with one of the liquid floatants like "Water Shed". I've also tied them out of stuff like Poly Bear and Shimmer, and these will float also. I would go light on the silicone. These ride in the surface film. I'll fish them either off of a floating line or an intermediate.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Leeds49, You can add a plastic lip or make one of silicone as shown by Bob Popovics. They work very well and have that wobble swimming action. They do take a while to make, but can be very productive. I have gotten one of my biggest bass in the back bay on a plain silicone and have best luck bringing them across current, off a point or creek mouth.

[email protected], welcome to the barn. Water Shed sounds like it works for you and sounds like a good solution.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Silicone does not float. A Siliclone works by silicone trapping air pockets in the fleece. If anything, adding more silicone will make it sink faster. The best thing to do is add more fleece. Pack it very tightly to trap in many more air pockets.

Ray:
[email protected] is just plain old Philly from the club ;) . He's been here for ages.

[ 02-07-2005, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dave, Ray and Philly. Didn't know that silicone sank (say that really fast). Thanks to your seggestions I wrapped the head of the fly with foam strips and then packed on the polar fiber and trimmed it so that the front slants down like the face of a rattle trap. It's been a long winter and I'm starting to get really creative at the vice with the bag fulls of materials I got at the show.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Im just did got done 6 bangers. Finally got the hooks I wanted

I like sililcones when fish rocks - intermediate line 10 wt and a 4 or 5 ft leader.

Yes I am ready

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
They wernt designed to sink...they are supposed to skim the surface like mullet. Dave described a few tricks. Some just sink no matter how perfect they come out and they will still work that way too.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by hipkvw:
They wernt designed to sink...they are supposed to skim the surface like mullet. Dave described a few tricks. Some just sink no matter how perfect they come out and they will still work that way too.
Thats what I meant... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts