BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had the pleasure of a floating dock. I'll be backing in with no side dock. Do I tie up the same as in a non-floating dock with the exception of the weights and pulleys? Wont need those anymore but want to make sure on the other lines.

Two bow lines, cross stern lines and spring lines to poles? All fairly tight.

This should be pretty simple but having never been on a floating dock I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I've never had the pleasure of a floating dock. I'll be backing in with no side dock. Do I tie up the same as in a non-floating dock with the exception of the weights and pulleys? Wont need those anymore but want to make sure on the other lines.

Two bow lines, cross stern lines and spring lines to poles? All fairly tight.

This should be pretty simple but having never been on a floating dock I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks

Greg

Bumpers???

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sounds like you have it figured out fine.. :thumbsup: Just remember to leave enough slack in the lines tied to the fixed poles to allow for the tidal swing.. I like to be there at both the top and bottom of the tides to check and make my final adjustments.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Skip the weight and pulleys for the bow lines (since you are backing in), look into the tide slides on a fixed pole, they work great! There are a few companies that advertise out there. Beyond that it is just like being tied to a fixed dock except you don't have to account for the tide.

One suggestion I can make, especially if you will be docking by yourself is to have a long rope going from the pilon to the floating dock. If your boat gets turned while docking the rope will stop your boat from going into the slip next to you or vice versa. Many of the boats (all sizes) do this in my marina. Its a cheap and simple safety precaution to protect boats from bumping into each other.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Don't know where you are going but, my marina has slides on the pilings already. Any type of slide takes the guesswork out of tide changes. But as said if you don't have these, definitely hang around for the tides to see the effect. Also double check on the moon tides...bigger swings.
If you have outboards or the connections on the floating dock aren't configured right, it may be difficult to cross your stern lines. I have this problem. I just have the stern lines pretty tight to avoid the side to side action.
Good luck

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wanted to use the slides, but my marina didn't like the idea. Best thing to do is check with the marina first. That's when I ended up using Tideminders. http://www.tideminders.com/

The tide swing at my place is right about 5 feet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you look around you will see a lot of guys have slide bars set onto the pilings of the floating slips. If you would like to set these up on the cheap you can go to one of those BIG Home improvement stores and purchase stainless handrails for bathrooms and such. I believe thay run about $45 for a 50" rail.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I wanted to use the slides, but my marina didn't like the idea. Best thing to do is check with the marina first. That's when I ended up using Tideminders. http://www.tideminders.com/

The tide swing at my place is right about 5 feet. :thumbsup:

I saw this and it looked interesting. Question: what if the boats on either side of you are hard tied to the same piling??

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sounds like you have it figured out fine.. :thumbsup: Just remember to leave enough slack in the lines tied to the fixed poles to allow for the tidal swing.. I like to be there at both the top and bottom of the tides to check and make my final adjustments.
Treebeard check you PM please

·
Registered
271 Posts
I saw this and it looked interesting. Question: what if the boats on either side of you are hard tied to the same piling??
I have that same arrangement now at my marina. I went right underneath the other lines on each pole. I tie them off my bow cleats and they take a downward angle just like tying up to a floating dock. In my slip, they are always at water level or just a few inches higher. That's with a 30 ft boat in a 35 ft slip. Even with a 5 ft tide swing and full moon tide, they never reached the height of the other lines. I imagine they would ride higher if you don’t use spring lines.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies

I'll be at AHMM and the fixed poles have the stainless slides on them with the ring that I'd tie to. The last place I was had tires with floats in them.

Looks like I'll save some $ on pulleys and weights.

Thanks again.

Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts