BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waffling back and forth between Garmin 740S and Lowrance HDS-8 as a combo unit. Now I am confusing myself even more by looking at Simrad NSS-7 or 8. Anyone have experience with the Simrad units and can offer a comparison to either Garmin or Lowrance?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The Simrad and Lowrance units share a lot of the same technology as they are both part of the NAVICO family (broadband sounder, structure scan, radar modules, navionics chips, etc. I've got any HDS-10 on my CC and an NSE-12 on the big boat. The simrad unit seems to be heavier duty, being made out of aluminum rather than plastic but performance seems the same if the same transducer is used. I don't have experience with the NSS units which have the touch screen features, but I've hear good things.

Feel free to email me with any specific questions.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
The Simrad has been a great unit.. There are a lot of top notch captains that have gone with the Simrad units and are very happy with them..

We sell them all but when I purchase my new boat this winter Im going all Simrad...

The Garmins and Lowrances are also very good machines as well

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris
why would you stay away from Garmin?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Chris
why would you stay away from Garmin?
Where I use to work, I was always working with and speaking with notable electronics installers. They were not fond of Garmin to work on and to work in partnership with as a company. Furthermore, it is my opinion that Garmin has the fluff to lure someone but when it comes to advanced features and really tweaking the machine to get the most, it lacks what its competitors in Furuno, Simrad, Raymarine has the ability. At that company, I sold into Canada. The guys that used Garmin on the boats at the Canadian Ministry of Natural Resources hated their cartography and functioning so we were in the middle of changing their units out. These guys are usually in the middle of nowhere and having a reliable unit was the utmost of importance. When I left, we were actively putting on Raymarine. The Simrad name has yet to catch on up there, otehrwise they would be a player. Plus my friend has two Garmin on his boat and I just don't like it. I know, I am an opinionated SOB. Demanding the best and understanding how the best gear works was in part why I was so successful as a charter captain years back. Partially anyway.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
disagree, wholeheartedlty.

Ford, Chevy...all over again.

The simple truth is that every installer, retailer, etc has their own preference.

Every fisherman has theirs.

All big name products are very comparable and work well. One is easier to learn and use, one tunes a little better, one has better target seperation on their FF.

At the end of the day - they are all good. Garmin has grown over the last 5 years leaps and bounds.

I have all garmin and love it. I had ONE problem in the last 6 years (fogged screen) and they replaced the screen, for free, after it was OUT OF WARRENTY for 1.5 years.

It all boils down to personal preference.....and what you can get the best deal on at that time.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
I have been waffling back and forth between Garmin 740S and Lowrance HDS-8 as a combo unit. Now I am confusing myself even more by looking at Simrad NSS-7 or 8. Anyone have experience with the Simrad units and can offer a comparison to either Garmin or Lowrance?
Bill if you have any questions about the HDS email me.
I have the HDS-10 and love it.
I am over in Towamencin if you want to take a look at it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would agree with Sean, it comes down to which unit you like best. There are a couple of things to consider, such as what size boat, what type of fishing and where you fish. Also think about the future for addons don't buy something that you can't add to like radar, weather, AIS. All these products do the same thing, it comes down to ease of use. That is different for everyone. My suggestion is with the AC boat show coming up go play with all three. The manufacturers will have their displays there and take your time with each one. All thre companies have pretty good warranty and service after the purchase. Last remember size, put the biggest unit your pocket and helm can afford and fit. Once you split screen the display gets small real fast. Good luck

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feed back everyone. I am headed to the NYC boat show tomorrow with the intention of getting some hands on experience with all 3.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
i have a hds 7 and its a great unit. if i had a larger boat ide run the simrad units as they seem better equiped with faster processors for running more stuff at once. ie radar, music, structure scan, gps/radar overlays..... but as just a basic gps/Fishfinder combo the HDS is the way to go :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts