Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to hear peoples experience with siriusXM weather

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Love it

I have Raymarine E 120's with weather & sea temp. I highly reccomend this especially for Canyon trips. If a storm pops up you can see where it is and the direction & intensity it is traveling. It also provides sea surface temp so it helps when you are looking for temp breaks etc.
The unit was around $800 and the service is around $279 for 6 months which also includes XM radio

·
Registered
726 Posts
I believe they are still two different weather services even though Sirius and XM have merged. Electronics hardware (Furuno/Ray/Garmin) are aligned with either of the two platforms. I have used both and currently have XM on my boat. I prefer the way Sirius displays sea-surface temperature data better than XM. Otherwise, both are invaluable for offshore trips.

·
Registered
206 Posts
wish i had it by my Furuno is too old! Next boat will have it!
Another option would be to purchase a small garmin 541 (I think it's a 541). It is a small plotter with Sirius weather capability. My buddy installed one on his rig so that he did'nt have to scrap his current electronics for a new suite. We dodged weather an overnight full of t-storms and the temp chart was quite accurate. The other benefit is you get Sirius Radio if your stereo is compatable.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I have it on the Garmin and love it.

Worth every penny. Ive avoided lightening. Watched storm patterns on the nexrad. Made better decisions about when to head for home, and when to sit a quick cell out. Dodged a large system and ran between cells.

Overall - I think its valuable and worth every cent.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have the XMweather on my 5212 garmin. I love it xm radio is good but the weather is well worth it. Predictions are right on and having live buoy reports is great.If running offshore or to the oldgrounds,or drumfishings the bay it works.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Love the xm have it for 3years weather is great sea temp is ok but better then a pieces of paper from yesterday

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I have to agree with Josh's post about it being useless

Been using it since it came out and have to agree with this post by Josh. It seemed to be more help finding the temperature breaks down in Morehead City, NC when winter giant Bluefin fishing inshore. In our local canyons it is almost useless and we run a lots of offshore trips every season and have used it hundreds of times without it being very accurate. (SST sea temperture information.) The weather option is worth the cost with the amount of bad thunderstorms we see locally. Find the bait breaking on the surface and many times you will find the tuna.

"The weather tracking is awesome the SST are rather useless 9 times out of 10"

·
Registered
43 Posts
We have found the SiriusXM weather on our NavNet3D to be priceless! We have salvaged so many trips as we can watch the weather (t-storms, fronts) moving and live. We have scratched trips and stayed at the dock when we would have gotten beat up. We have altered our course on return trips home from the canyon to avoid bad weather. While we don't try to push the limits, the service also helps us extend our trips as we can stay out (nearshore) until we see the bad weather developing (especially summer late day t-storms) or moving. How many times has there been forecast of thunderstorms that "may" develop in late afternoon, but never do? Surface temp feature generally very good, but there are times when cloud cover just interferes with the reading, but then again no one can get a reading if there's cloud cover. While we subscribe to the outstanding OSS internet services, there have been times when we had to leave the dock without a recent shot, but when we were out there in canyon got a clearer shot and saved or altered the day. That's not to knock the internet service, sometimes you just gotta leave when there's no clear shot, so it's nice to have the SiriusXM back you up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have Sirius on my Northstar 6100, the guys that have it on their Navnet dont get the definition that we have. Sometimes it's off some, but not very often. Saves me fuel in winter, when not many boats fishing and priceless in the summer tracking weather.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Question on the Sirius SST for Raymarine users: Have you found a way to overlay the the SST on the GPS map? We've been trying to figure out a way but have been unsuccessful. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
dont think u can overlay on raymarine. i have navnet 3d and the seriuos is pretty accurate 90% of days on the sst. i think it updates 3xs per 24hr period. i have found it an invaluable tool as i have made 15 miles runs and saved the day.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Weather- Raymarine

I have it on E120 and I do not think you can overlay it, and you cannot change the "north up" orientation. The best you can do is form a custom screen and split it with other applications.

It is a great program for weather info !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts