BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about installing a Sirus sattelite radio on the boat .Any suggestion to brand or comments about this service:confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had sirius for 2 years now. I love it. I can't go back to regular radio. I work at a car dealership that sells XM on the cars so i listen to both every day. I prefer sirius. And it sounds like this merger is real close to happening so eventually you might have xm and sirius on one radio. My radio is always clear except when I'm near another car using the same fm radio frequency as me.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I've had Sirius for 2 years in the car and XM at home. Sirius is hands down better. However I would not use on my boat; prefer the quiet.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Runamuck-

Sirius put an audiovox system for center consoles on my boat last year. It held up just fine for me. I ran the radio display through my raymarine c-80 unit and it can be done through other fishfinders too like furuno. I had the weather option as well and found to rely on it often but the water temp charts is lacking. Better than not having them but the quality is far less than other pay services we utilize at home.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i had sirius for a year went through 3 radios they were the portable ones and they were crap. i cancelled it just because i got tired of paying for something that never worked. i just got a notice the mail for a class action lawsuit for one of the models i had from some law suit in cali. maybe the fixed models that mount in your dash work better but every portable one ive known there were problems either with the unit or the antennas breakdown. they are just made cheap.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
i ve had the sporster model for over 2 years no problems no comlpaints ..baba booey

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Was thinking about getting sat radio 2 years ago, but decided to get an 15GB IPOD instead. Holds 7500 songs, put all the songs on there I want on there, not the songs sat radio wants to play!:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the Sirius sportster about three years ago. I love it. I couldn't stand all of the comercials on regular radio anymore. One antenna in the truck, one in the garage, one on the boat, one in the house, one in the work car and a base radio for camping. I just move the sportster unit with me and plug it in. It has taken quite a beating but works fine.

Check out the prices on a lifetime membership. I paid $500 for one. I figure it will pay off in the long run. No monthly payments is always a good thing. They offered me a monthly rate of $14 or a $200 3 year deal. The customer service person I spoke with didn't seem pleased when I asked about the lifetime price for some reason.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have 4 Sirius receivers... 1 for every vehicle including my boat. I installed sirius on the boat 2 years ago.. it is awesome no question about it. BIG suggestion>>> make sure you do a direct antenna connection to back of radio, do not rely on FM wireless transmission, it sucks. One downfall I have noticed, I have gone thru 2 satellite antennas and 1 docking station.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Got one in the Jeep love it!

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
I'm a XM guy strictly from a sports standpoint.....XM has NCAA sports MLB....Sirious has NFL and NBA...I would rather listen to collega and MLB on the radio...

·
Registered
304 Posts
have Sirius...... LOVE IT! ....... if you wait a little while, hopefully you can have the best of both worlds........ if the FCC can find it in their hearts to approve the Merger!!!!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I have a sirus "mushroom" antenna connected to what appears to be some sort of conversion box which then plugs into an existing radio. I bought the boat with the radio.

Since then I wanted to upgrade the radio and use my portable sirus radio from my truck. The truck has a lifetime subscription. The problem is that the existing marine antenna doesn't appear to be compatible with my sportmate radio.

So my question is...
What kind of antenna is everyone using on their boats? I don't believe that an automotive antenna will work on a boat. I think that the car antennas need a metal surface to amplify the signal.

OK - lets see the other geeks come out of the woodwork!
Thanks in advance.
George

·
Registered
5 Posts
Satellite Radio

I have been using an Xact Visor model radio for almost 3 years now. Its a compact sized no frills model. Everyday it goes from my personal truck to my work truck and back again without missing a beat. I also use it on my boat with the car antenna and the only problem is there is nothing magnetic to stick it to so I just lay it on the helm. I use the FM transmitter for it and am completely satisfied. I did buy a second unit to have a second antenna and car kit to ease its portability from vehicle to boat.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My first radio was a sportster but burnt out after 1 year then bought the sportster replay still working great after 1 year. Loved the service. I hope the merger comes soon so I can catch the Yankee games. Mac-Hine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts