BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, does anyone have a Wilderness Systems Pungo Yak? I have had one for 2 yrs now and love it! Its a Sit In though. Was wondering if anyone has fallen out in water over your head? How hard is it to get back into the boat. Haven't had to try and was wondering if anyone has experience. Bought a Paddle Float a few weeks back (just being responsible) and was gonna give it a try while the water was still warm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there not that easy to tip but I am out so much thought I 'd ask for advise. I am going to practice it this weekend just to see how I'd make out if it ever happend.

I talked to the guy who sold me the pungo and he told me to inflate the float then place the oar through the elastic staps on the front of the boat then pull myself up and get one leg in and fall onto my back.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I've fallen out more than once over my head in a SIK. Luckily I was near shallower water every time. If I were too far away from shallow water, I would push the yak under and straddle it until I could get into the seat. Even though the yak is submerged, it's not going to completely sink because of the foam floats at the bow and stern. Then I would paddle myself back to shallower water and turn the yak over to empty the water.

I've never tried the paddle float thing but I've seen it done. You need dexterity to do it.

By the way, you need to be Superman to lift a yak filled with water. Even a little water feels like a ton. Don't try to empty it until you can get to shallow area and can prop one end up above the water.

·
Registered
847 Posts
jc, yes Joe Murry is in,I had him up at the point this morning at dawn and we knocked the cr$# out of the bluefish.Birds as far as you could see,bait fish dancing every were,up to our arm pits in water,just like the old days.Hitting some pots fri am for some mahi,if it's good going on saterday am as well,you got time in your schedule? give me a call..... b.o.t.b. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.