BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was in Jacksonville on business yesterday and popped in the local fly shop...the guy was giving me a tip by stalking the grassy flats by foot during the full moon high tides for tailing redfish. Anyone done anything like that around hear for stripers? I know my favorite meadow floods...

Pete

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Longshanks I have done both with the reds and bass. It does happen around here and is fun to fish that way. The bass will do this in the same areas year after year. But they don't push water on all shallow banks. I guess what I'm saying it happens and if you find a spot that they are chasing bait in 10"s of water go back there because the fish will use it again.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I had some bass pushing water last week. Water was very shallow and could hardly get the boat through and you had to be careful not to get too close. Took a long cast to get to the fish. Up here it seems like it works early morning and evening. Never have seen it during full sun.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
longshanks Yes we have caught bass way back in the weeds. Haven't actually seen them tailing but you can see the grass moving as they chase, probably, crabs. Can be hard at times to move a hooked one to open water. Sure can be fun though.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How large are the fish you saw? I can't imagine something too big van manuever through the grass that well..

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I've caught 30" fish in 12"s of water and also caught them on top of the meadow with their backs out of the water crushing bait just as the tide started out. Like anything else the more time you spend back there the more stuff you see. It's not like this on every tide cycle but it happens. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts