BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...made my first forray for the winter flatties. It was windy and cold. Used mussels and chum bags. Not a bite. So the question is....should I try again down here or suck it up and travel up to Shark River?!?!?! I'm open for suggestions. Planning to spend a day next week either way. It was nice to be out with my boy. Get'em Wet! Pig

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Pigman said:
Ok...made my first forray for the winter flatties. It was windy and cold. Used mussels and chum bags. Not a bite. So the question is....should I try again down here or suck it up and travel up to Shark River?!?!?! I'm open for suggestions. Planning to spend a day next week either way. It was nice to be out with my boy. Get'em Wet! Pig
wait till the water warms a little--2 anchors. where did you try??

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had 2 anchors....just cold and windy! I was behind SIC. I caught some there last year. Pig

·
Registered
532 Posts
If we get a few nice days, I'll be trying my old haunt. Figured I'd set some chum out the night before to get them interested (used to work). I'll let you know if we do anything. Tried the Bay the other day - it wasn't nice.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fizz,
Let me know when you're going. You know I can always miss a day or two. Plus...I can anchor right behind ya in yer slick!!!!!! Get'em Wet! Pig

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Behind SIC I would fish up on flats at beginning of outgoing tide with crushed mussels as well as a chum bag
2 anchors is a must ,6lb test line ,ligthest wiegh as possible to hold bottom,don't jig let bait sit on bottom
Last year first week of April I got 9 all over the legal limit ,2nd time I tried was begining of 2nd week and got 7 than swtiched to stripers
Sunny days always outproduce cloudy days,wind makes no difference if using 2 anchors
At this point I don't plan to try for them as I'm a little late getting boat in water and my first fluke was caught on April 5th or 6th last year
Winter flounder are there now, if no bites in 20 minutes or so after getting a good chum slick down make a move

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Willie! Up on the flats in 3-5 feet of water?? I snuck out the back way last time, but it is shallow across there! Check out my seal post. You could have seen it from your slip! Pig

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I found a couple of spots this weekend in Great Bay I'm going to try.

I just finished grinding up the weekends left over striper bait. I put some in those Glad containers and filled about 8 Solo cups. kept all the clam strips for bait:confused: we'll see.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Question for Bucktail or anyone who knows--- why 2 anchors? Is it to keep the chum pot from moving and spooking the fish? Seems to me like you could get away with using only one anchor, as you are bouncing the bait on the bottom....Thanks---Mike

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 anchors holds the boat, and more importantly the chum pot, in place. It is best to fish right in the chum slick. Keeping the boat in place makes that most effective. Churning the bottom also helps and a stationary boat ensures effectiveness. Pig

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I had some luck in the Navesink River.

Clam chum and mussels were the ticket. Bloodworms went untouched.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Im hitting them good now in the shark river. I dont know why everyone is saying it slow or wait a couple weeks. On easter sunday i had 7 fish. on monday i had 8 tuesday i had 4 wedsday i had 1:( . Friday i had 5. Sat i had 0( I missed the bite people who were leaving had 7 or 8 fish).And on sunday i didnt go cause i bought a boat:D . All these fish are from shore (so why the heck did i buy a boat??)and not 1 short caught. Stay away from the crowds youll catch them. I say this weekend is going to be good;)

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
SURF STRIPER KING 0536 said:
Im hitting them good now in the shark river. I dont know why everyone is saying it slow or wait a couple weeks. On easter sunday i had 7 fish. on monday i had 8 tuesday i had 4 wedsday i had 1:( . Friday i had 5. Sat i had 0( I missed the bite people who were leaving had 7 or 8 fish).And on sunday i didnt go cause i bought a boat:D . All these fish are from shore (so why the heck did i buy a boat??)and not 1 short caught. Stay away from the crowds youll catch them. I say this weekend is going to be good;)
damn man, you retired? that is a week of flounder slaying right there.

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Lucky bastard!

RyanF

1 - 18 of 18 Posts