BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even if we were soaking wet and really cold by the end of the day. Ed J not only knows his "stuff"; he know how to teach! Thanks to the SJCFA for having the class.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Yeah it was absolutly awesome!!! He really opened my eyes..and it just makes so much more LOGICAL sense. Even before we went outside to cast I felt extremely more confident, thats exactly what I was looking for. You can really tell that Ed loves doing that sorta thing, Defiantly worth the $$$$!!!

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Are you all masters of physics now, too...?? :D That's one thing Ed likes to teach, that fly casting is nothing more than simple physics. Glad to hear the class wasn't cancelled and you had a great time.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
To bad the weather wasn't good, but sounds like it was well worth the effort. From the new, it sounds like you got a ton of rain up there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"That's one thing Ed likes to teach, that fly casting is nothing more than simple physics."

While Ed does explain the physics very thoroughly, I would have to say he is really stressing the basics. Things like practice and watching your backcast. Many of the guys are tensing up and trying to "heave" the line using power and force. Some of us are cheating using the double haul to achieve line speed. For most of us it was break the cast down and try to see, understand and correct what we are doing.

In my case I start the acceleration for the cast too far back. No matter how many books I read or how many videos I watch, I would never have picked it up on my own. Ed showed me what I could achieve if I just start the cast a little sooner! And practice without the double haul:)

·
Registered
714 Posts
A great time in spite of the weather. Ed was an excellent teacher, stressing the basics. I learned a lot from him. He took the time to show each of us what we were doing wrong and how to correct it. All of this in chilly, wet weather! I would also like to thnk Jay Caville for putting this all together for the club. Have to go practice what I learned now. :D

[ 09-20-2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: TomG ]

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
With all everyone as learned, we may need a longer practice area for the club. You will just have to hold back alittle. Now we will also have some more instructors to help others in the club.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts