BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sakte is actually used for immitation scallops. If you ever get a perfectly round scallop it is probably a punched out skate wing. I have always wanted to give one a try but I think the prep process is a PIA. If I remember correctly you have to boil the wing in order to get the skin off.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Sakte is actually used for immitation scallops. If you ever get a perfectly round scallop it is probably a punched out skate wing. I have always wanted to give one a try but I think the prep process is a PIA. If I remember correctly you have to boil the wing in order to get the skin off.

i saw a vid on youtube or garbagefish on cleaning skates, the skin can be peeled off with pliers. I know for sure Ill be spearing them if i see em while diving or keeping em if I catch any this upcoming season.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Properly prepared and cooked skate is delicious. As a matter of fact most "garbage" fish sea robbin, eel, monk, skate, stargazer:eek: ect... is much better than the highly sought after fish.

Fried Italian style skate- it doesnt get much tastier than that:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Me likes Bunker :D><))))">

·
Registered
142 Posts
I cooked and seasoned some like i would do with crab and added to pasta. it was awesome...and cheap!

-Jalto

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

The steaks in the store come from these, not the itty bitty ones in NJ.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
skates are good to eat, this way when we go fishing we can keep & eat all the skates , sea robins, oyster crackers & dogfish and release all the flounder, weakies & bass anyone have a recipe for bunker, mullet or sand eelsI am sure they must be very tasty also;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
This may be the best news I have heard all week. Skate is Awesome so everyone should kill everyone they catch this year and take them home for the table. Maybe this will help in keeping there numbers down, they are getting to be like a plague. Now all we have to do is get Asia to classify them as a delicacy and they will be close to extinction in no time. One can only hope!!

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
Not me man... just ain't gonna happen :nuts:

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Had some round bay scallops the last week. I was figuring it was skate. Is that true? If so they were damn good...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've eaten a lot of scallops and a reasonable amount of skate and I can't imagine ever confusing the two. Skate is good, but no resemblance to scallops.

I know that "reconstituted" scallops are being imported into the US. Smaller scallops are ground up and extruded as larger "scallops," but you'd have to be an addicted tilapia "connoisseur" from Dubuque to not know the difference.

I've seen skate of maybe 2 or 3 pounds whole going to market. Each "wing" is somewhere around a third or a bit more of the total width of the fish. In this video the skate the guy is cutting doesn't look like it would over a pound or a pound and a half.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Scallops are scallops- they come in a shell. That is a back in the day thing that was done with the skate wings. The taste appearance and texture have obvious differences. As for our skates there is definately a market for them and they are sold in great numbers. There are actually a great number of monk/skate boats in new jersey.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.