BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the previous posts having to use circles now for the Marlin Tourney's and it doesn't look like you can add a skirt like an Islander. The way the circle hook is rigged it doesn't look possible. I was wondering how you could add a one. Anyone have any good suggestions? Am I not seeing the obvious?

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
you can basically rig it the same way if you want since the nose basically has enough room to be stuck inside the back of the islander just not sure how it will swim...

You can also put the circle hook in thru the side of the gill and short on the belly and do it like a normal shanks j hook would except a lot shorter!

They work well..

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
You have to place the hook in front of the lure to get the best hook up ratio. Try to use lures with thin heads so the fishes mouth does not open to far as the bait/lure combo slides thru the corner of the jaw. That will allow the circle hook to find the corner of the jaw. Thier is still no perfect way to rig a combo but we are trying to figure it out before this summers tournaments. I am heading to Venezuela in April to try some new rigs out for Blue Marlin and I will let you know how they work when I get back.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rig a skirted hoo as a teaser and run it where you would usually run your bait. Have a pitch bait at the ready and the rest should be pretty self explanatory. I think that's how I'm going to do it. Will you miss some fish? Yes, but everything I rig with a hook this year will be a naked. Keep those eyes open on the bridge :eek:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I asked 3 mates in CR if they ever run circles and skirts and they said no way. All their opinions were to keep it as simple as possible and its one less thing that can get in the way. They loved everything naked and natural except the teasers.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Just wait

Marlin magazine has a load of differnt methods.go to their site and hit techniques on the top

·
Banned
490 Posts
I think combo baits are a thing of the past for tournament fishing! I am a big fan of bait and switch fishing anyway the bites are better and more predictable and i have had higher hook up ratio's with circle hooks while bait and switch fishing than dragging a bunch of ballyhoo with j hooks in them

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I guess a lot of us will be trying something different all season.
Waterman, was wondering if you like to share some more of your technique??? Capt'n Lou have you tried the bridal system???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts