BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anybody know's, or if anyone cares.. But the seven mile island has a skunk problem! And late at night they they go cruising the island with there nose to the ground, digging up the eggs of turtles... Last year i counted 4 nests dug up with around 30 empty shells next to the holes. This morning I saw 1 nest emptyed with 7 empty shells. Not to mention the first road kill on ocean dr. last night. It seems like between the skunks and all these upper white trash city people in a rush to a stop sign, the diamond back doesn't stand a chance on this island anymore... It's sad one of my first memories growing up here was watching a nice size mother drop about 10 eggs in it's nest, I just thought it was the coolest thing ever!!! I wish the town would lower the speed limit, and if you see a skunk on the island please notify the police department and they'll contact animal control.

·
Registered
141 Posts
lower the speed limit????? y not just make everyone ride bikes. that would be the best way to save the turtles. hey at least then bridgekid would have a little more company in the shoulders late at night.

·
Registered
31,148 Posts
I caught a baby Daimondback this year. He was crossing the road and two seagulls were about to eat him. I took him home, then brought him back later when the gulls were gone.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Skunks and stray cats are everywhere. Not sure how the towns will take care of this problem without freaking some people out...

·
Registered
294 Posts
If Avalon is bad Sea Isle is worse. There are just too many cars in SIC flying around. I have seen 3 turtles in 3 weekends this summer (and they were actually on the same day) I remember when they used to be everywhere through all of June, then we would see the hatchlings in August and September. The towns down the shore need to be more adamant about making visitors aware of the turtles and to be more cautious.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
The "rocks were moving" on the TI side of Avalon Saturday night. Rabbit sized rats.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by Eric G:
The "rocks were moving" on the TI side of Avalon Saturday night. Rabbit sized rats.
Eric, they are using the bridge. ;)

I saw a turtle crossing the road at 65th street, Avalon around 11:00am Saturday. Odd place to be. I remember in the 70's there were tons of them crossing and smashed along the causeway. Now you see none.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
There's no bulkhead along the bay in that area. Nice back yard beaches for easy access for the turtles. Lots of em around there.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by Keeper Seeker:
There's no bulkhead along the bay in that area. Nice back yard beaches for easy access for the turtles. Lots of em around there.
Well, that makes perfect sense-as long as they do not try to go east to find water! It would be nice if their #'s multiplied.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I saw at least 50 dead diamondbacks smashed on Rte. 30 North coming out of Atlantic City on Saturday evening. The genius planners of the White Horse Pike designed the concrete center dividers with no openings so the breeders trying to cross the road from one side of the marsh to the other could get through. Now it is absolute suicide for the poor little turtles. If they are lucky enough to cross three or four lanes of 60mph traffic and not get killed, they realize they can't get across because or the concrete center divider and can't get across. They have to turn around and head back and eventually their luck runs out. It's a disgrace! DEP needs to help get this situation fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts