BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently attended an Al Knie lecture on big stripers, which emphasized the importancfe of Slack Tide. Does anyone know where i can find more info on when the water is slack around manasquan? or go i just need to observe? I've heard and hour after high...

Thanks Bl

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
depending on wind speed and direction the current will slack off at different times i've found. an incoming tide with a strong east wind will slow down later than one fighting against a west wind.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes, an hour before and an hour or so after is your best shot at the bigger ones. They don't want to exert to much energy, The more they burn the more they have to eat to maintain there carb intake of the day.:D

And we caught plenty of 30# plus Stripers while the tide was ripping. :rolleyes:
They open there mouth like a bucket against the tide.:eek:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul Tripodi said:
Yes, an hour before and an hour or so after is your best shot at the bigger ones. They don't want to exert to much energy, The more they burn the more they have to eat to maintain there carb intake of the day.:D

And we caught plenty of 30# plus Stripers while the tide was ripping. :rolleyes:
They open there mouth like a bucket against the tide.:eek:
Yes i've heard that take on it too.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
like paul said.

if the fish cannot maintain its calorie expendature, it dies.

so the ultimate feeding time to conserve calories while building on their intake is during the slower moving tides...

smaller fish need not worry about this as they expend less calories moving at the same pace a larger fish does, just as a 300lb man would burn many more calories than a 120lb women walking around the block at the same speed.

-ZAR

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
zar2754 said:
if the fish cannot maintain its calorie expendature, it dies.

so the ultimate feeding time to conserve calories while building on their intake is during the slower moving tides...

smaller fish need not worry about this as they expend less calories moving at the same pace a larger fish does, just as a 300lb man would burn many more calories than a 120lb women walking around the block at the same speed.

-ZAR
Yeah but the baitfish stand a better chance the lighter the current. I think it is much more efficient for the big girls to take up station in an eddy and let the current do the work for them rather than chase bait around in an environment where the bait isnt at a disadvantage (fighting a strong current that is no sweat to a bass just fanning her tail to stay in her feeding lane)

RyanF

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
striped.bass said:
I like this site for tides:

http://www.saltwatertides.com/

S.B
It's a good site for tides but the question was about current.

In many places the current changes direction or goes slack at times other than the time of high /low (which are called "stand" when the tide is neither going up or down).

Often I've heard coplaints form guys about the time but they were using tide tables and not tidal CURRENT tables or charts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts