BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be getting a new plugging reel soon and had narrowed it down to the penn slammer, but when I looked closer at the spinfisher I realized it was lighter and had better line capacity with a lower price.

Anybody have any experience with both of these reels or know what the difference is? Also which would you guys reccomend?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have both the slammer and spinfisher.
They are both excellent reels.

I will say go with the slammer just because i had my slammer for 6 yrs and it has been beat up some and it still works like new.

·
Banned
397 Posts
I have both, too. They are both great. The slammers are supposed to be more durable, but I've put my spinfisher(650ssm) through hell and it still spins like the day I got it. I would steer clear of the ssg's though. They are graphite and probably not as durable. I don't think you can go wrong with either the ssm's or slammers.

My opinion is:
If you're looking for a smaller sized reel go with a slammer.
If you're looking for a bigger reel, but are worried about weight go with an ssm spinfisher.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I think you should get the rocket fisherman myself Mike :D

picked up a quantum catalyst today at cabelas

·
Registered
394 Posts
The 360 would be fine, but the 460 is not that much bigger. It's hard to figure out sometimes because stores always have their display models on those really short display things. Ask where you purchase it if you can put it on a rod that you want to put it on to see how it feels.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you should get the rocket fisherman myself Mike :D

picked up a quantum catalyst today at cabelas
haha. Which catalyst did you get?

The 360 would be fine, but the 460 is not that much bigger. It's hard to figure out sometimes because stores always have their display models on those really short display things. Ask where you purchase it if you can put it on a rod that you want to put it on to see how it feels.
I have a 9 ft Tica that I love, just looking to upgrade my reel. I think I'm goin go with the 360 because of the weight difference.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I will probably go with the slammer then.

Any recommendations on the model? I was thinkin 360.
I have both and several sizes too. Hands down I prefer the 550ssg for plugging, but the slammer gets the nod for bait slinging. The 550ssg is very light, braid friendly, holds a ton of line, and casts well. My only recommendation is if you dunk it-I'd routinely clean out the old grease,re-pack. I learned the hard way on that one.:(

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
None of my penn reels 550, 650 ssm's see any time on the beach but I do you use them for fishing bait, Avas, and Bucktail on the boat. They are all spooled with mono line, I have Shimanos 2/ 3500,2/ 4500 BRs and Stradic FIs 4000,5000,6000, for the beach, they all have braid. I know they say slammers were designed to handle braid and both ssms and slammers are good reels but my ssm's suck with braid . I don't think any other reel but shimanos lay braid on their spools better, in a way that definitely reduces problems with wind knots and tip wraps.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The 460 mat be a better fit/balance for the 9'. The 360 is a great match for 8' and 8 1/2'. If you plan on using the 360 on multiple rods 9' and less then go with the 360. If you plan on using it strictly on the 9', then I would suggest the 460. Great choice, nonetheless. You can't go wrong with the Slammer. Plus, it can be easily self-serviced at the end of every season.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I use my Slammer for chunking and it has a smooooooth drag and can handle some of the largest fish. As for plugging, not sure but I generally go with the lighter. Others can probably give better advice on that as I use a Daiwa for plugging but I LOVE my Slammer for surf fishing and landing the bigguns!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.