BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of the sliding stinger rig. A double hook rig for fishing large strip baits that can be adjusted to the size of the strip you are using. I am confused on how to tie it though.

Anyone who uses this rig able to describe how to tie it? I have tied some stinger rigs where I snelled a second hook onto the tag end of the first snell.

Thanks,
RyanF

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Snell the Bottom hook on the end of the leader then slide sliding hook on leader I wrap the shank of the Slider hook with Elastic Bait Thread and tie it off. Tie it tight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make sure you use a pair of needle nose pliers when pulling off the strip from a two hook rig or you might wind up sinking that second hook into your hand.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Very interesting. Anybody have a picture?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I tried the rig with the sliding hook snelled to the leader but had trouble keeping the sliding hook in place. Junkmansj's idea of adding the elastic thread sounds like a good idea. OWNER makes a rig called a boa rig. I just bought a couple of packs to try them out. The sliding hook is attached to the leader with a piece of kevlar that is sort of braided to the leader. You can slide the hook wherever you want it then pull on the hook to lock it in place. If you want to move it you just push up on the kevlar braid and it loosens. A little pricey at $5 for 3 rigs but they come on 5ft leaders with hooks that seem to be of the same quality as gami's. I ordered them through an ad I saw in the "Fisherman". Anxious to give them a try.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Snell a hook to a piece of leader material approx 36". Slide a second hook onto the leader material and hold it approx 3 to 4 inches above the snelled hook. Take another piece of leader material approx 12" and slide it into the eye of the second hook. NOTE: You now have two pieces of leader material in the eye of the second hook. With the 12" piece of leader material, snell the second hook and make sure that when you are snelling this hook to wrap the snell around the original 36" piece of leader material. Snug-up both ends of the 12" piece of leader material both not too tight. Cut down this piece of leader material leaving a quarter inch of material at each end.

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
For fluking with whole squid I do this:

Snell hook to the main leader.

Take a 12 inch piece of leader and snell a hook to that.

Now you have your main leader w/ a snelled hook and a seperate 12 inch leader with a snelled hook.

I then tie the 12 inch leader to the main leader using a 7 or 8 turn single uni knot.
This knot will slide up and down the main leader so you can control the lengh of the strip bait or whole squid.

It works very well for fluke but I have never used it for larger fish.

[ 03-15-2006, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: TSStriper ]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still a little confused but I am gonna try some of these suggestions. I am at school without leader material but I am gonna save this thread.

TSS, where can I get my hands on some whole squid that arent too large?

Thanks,
RyanF

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I do similar to Jackfish. Take a 36" mono (or flouro) leader and lay a hook right next to it (near one of the ends) so the mono runs along the shaft. No need to run the mono through the eye, just next to it. Take a 12" or so peice of braid and snell the hook and the mono together. Trim both ends of the braid, and now you should have a hook that slides up and down on the mono leader (but not too easily). Now, snell a hook to one end of the mono and tie a swivel to the other.

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
Originally posted by RyanF:
TSS, where can I get my hands on some whole squid that arent too large?

Thanks,
RyanF
Most bait shops have them in the freezer.
Blue and white box labeled Calamari...
look around and you will find them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pick up Don Kaminski's book "Fishing for Fluke" I think it's named. He has a good stinger hook set-up and other good info. Saw it in the library and keep meaning to by it but it's never in local bookstores.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys. i should be able to get this rig tied. i am really going to target larger fluke this season fishing very large strip baits.

RyanF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts