BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Dr, and hunting buddy is retireing and won't be useing his Holiday Mansion houseboat anymore. He offered it to my father and I really cheap and they did a really nice restoreation on it, bigger then some of my old summer houses at the shore. It does have a running engine so it isn't a non powered boat. My friend and his wife wanted to split the cost with me to put it in our marina, they're only able togo down on weekends and we fish and stay down mostly weekdays, even if we were all there this thing can sleep 8 people if need be. I was hopeing Harry would let us put it in BZL, John said no, but I really should have talked to Harry, sometimes John has his own rules. There are probably well over 150 big double cabin type live aboards that never leave the slip, so I really don't see the difference. We'd have a big comfortable salon, full galley, outside deck for grilling, it's really nice and the price is right..but BZL would be the cheapest by far to get a slip for it, anyone know of any marinas in the Cape May area that would take a Houseboat in? It's a 13' beam so it will fit in the slip. Just something we were kicking around, especially if we goto a smaller cabin then we now have. since we're going from a Flybridge to an express it will be smaller so we were really thinking about useing the house boat if he would let us. I'd still like to talk with Harry about it when he gets back from FL. any thoughts about useing one for liveing quarters?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Call Cape May Inlet Marina it located at the bottom Crest side of the Two Mile bridge. There are two or three houseboats there each year. I believe there is one there now. Contact Sue at Dock Street seafood they own the marina. Good Luck

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
There are a few House Boats docked at Shawcrest.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
First all of, Harry will not let you have it a bzl so forget that. The difference between a house boat and what's there now is those boats look like boats when no ones on them, your house boat looks like a floating trailer (no offence, I'm sure its nice) but that's the difference. Be careful with a house boat, your going to have a tough time finding a slip in cm. I can't even think of a marina in cm that allows them. Your probably going to be wildwood bound and even the marinas here don't like them.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I think we'd be better going with a double cabin type boat to use for liveing on, from the sounds of it. There are sure enough of them out there.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
First all of, Harry will not let you have it a bzl so forget that. The difference between a house boat and what's there now is those boats look like boats when no ones on them, your house boat looks like a floating trailer (no offence, I'm sure its nice) but that's the difference. Be careful with a house boat, your going to have a tough time finding a slip in cm. I can't even think of a marina in cm that allows them. Your probably going to be wildwood bound and even the marinas here don't like them.
Out of curiosity why do marinas not want houseboats?

·
Registered
181 Posts
The reason I was given several years ago when I tried to find a slip for one was the the marinas consider them a nuisance and headache.

They said that in most cases the houseboat does not move, therefore there are no parts to be sold or repair money to be make by the marina.

But the main reason is that the marina owners feel that most owners of houseboats will do nothing but party till the wee hours of the morning thus disturbing the other boat owners who want some sleep so they can get an early start (no one considers the early starters' noise bothering those who want to sleep in, but that's another issue). They added that they will party and toss their beer cans and other trash and not care where they land or make any effort to later clean their mess.

The houseboat will also use marina water and electric many times over what the typical slipped boat would use causing the marina to lower their profit margin.

I can understand the issue with the water and electric use, but they could put you on a meter or have you pay a surcharge to cover that cost.

As far as the partying and sloppiness, it's a shame that many have to suffer because of a few.

As I said, these are the reason given to me when I tried to find a home for one. They could not explain why they allow a large boat that NEVER sails to stay at the marina as opposed to a houseboat. Believe me, I asked. :huh:

·
Banned
2,531 Posts
There are a few House Boats docked at Shawcrest.
2nd. We have a few house boats here and it's not a problem. getting an open slip, that might be. No one will complain about your noise here in Shawcrest either. We party hard and fish hard.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I bet they get complaints both ways. When I had my boat down by the gas dock, this guy at the end would come down at 3 am Saturday morning and run both V6 OBs at fast idle for an hour to charge his batteries before going fishing. Always had a crew of 4 or 5, yelling at each other over the engine noise like they were in the middle of the ocean. No way to sleep through that carp. No doubt the marina owner hears those kind of complaints all summer long.
OTOH, like previously stated, a few liveaboards can be a headache too.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I think we should keep in mind that it is a marina first and foremost. Not a residential street. Marina's have boats that contain engines for the purpose of taking the boats out of the marina on occassion - that includes 3AM departures.

That said, there is nothing wrong with a little consideration for others at 3AM, but if anyone is going to complain about engine startup, smoke, etc from their houseboat or double cabin floating condo then I say buy a house.

Cost savings of a floater over an actual shore house come with another price to pay in understanding that you are in a working marina with boats that run at all hours.

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
Would you want a houseboat without power anyway? Not that you'd go offshore with it but aren't there times you'd want to be able to move it due to storms and such?

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Would you want a houseboat without power anyway? Not that you'd go offshore with it but aren't there times you'd want to be able to move it due to storms and such?
He said the engine runs, so it's not non-powered (double negative) :D

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
The marina right past the toll bridge going towards wildwood has at least 1 houseboat there-I fish by it on occaision. Its where some parasails run from.

Only thing is you woudl have to deal with bridge traffic going to breezeelee -not at 4am when you are going to fish but during the 10-8Pm hours-plus bridge openings. You could always get a commuter skiff:D

·
Registered
915 Posts
Light house point marina at the base of the rio grande bridge is the place to go with a house boat. There are a lot of them there. Great little community

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Any idea what the slips run for a 36 HB at Light House Point? I really was hopeing to keep it where our boat is docked, we were going to switch to a live aboard large double cabin type set up so we could keep it where we have our fishing boat. I might be able to get the HB for free if I catch him in the right mood, and this thing was completely restored. I could keep it at a different marina, it would be no different then haveing a townhouse or condo in a near by area. This house boat is a Holiday Mansion,which is one of the better makes out there, it has all new plumbing and electric, an early 90's boat, the whole interior was gutted and redone, also it has two engines which were also both rebuilt, My old Dr, owns it and just isn't useing it anymore, my buddy and wife who used to share shore houses with me for several summers wants to split all the costs with me. Like I had said, he is a weekender and we're down on weekdays, but even if everyone was there it has more then enough room for 6 people to sleep very comfortably. I know we can't afford to buy a shore house, so it would be nice. Even on our 32 Albemarle which has a private forward berth but it still could be a bit cramped for staying more then a couple of days. I'll talk to some guys at the boat show and give a few more a call. I stopped down and saw the boat a few weeks ago and it really is nicer then I remembered they put alot of work into it. they definetly aren't selling well, but our crew would have a blast useing it and would use it often. We're looking at a Fish around twin IB diesel boat if our Albemarle sale goes thru, which would give us a big enough cabin for 1 or 2 guys to take a break in, relax, and take a nap on a long day of fishing, or overnighter, guys always want to catch a few hrs when out overnight, we ussaully take shifts so we always have 3 guys up. and of course if the bite turns on everyone gets up when the lines start screaming. I can't count how many times different people did the old pull on the drag with the clicker on just to get people to jump out of a peacefull sleep. I never did that to anyone, it was always someone else, If we do go that route we definetly will need something else for living quarters, we even considered an Mobile home type set-up. I know we can't leave it there unattended but I beleive we can use it as long as we;re down on the boat. but I still like the houseboat or live aboard boat idea. I've done that before for several summers and we really enjoyed it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts