BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to post what one of the SLOT fish TRMB caught in the rips the other day had in it's stomach.

2 eels(1 of which I could swear was still kind of moving)
1 12inch ling
1 8 inch ling

and it still went for Mikey's bucktail.

The other slot had tons of small fish including a perfect butter fish and a smaller butter fish and a few tiny flounder.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tom....Isn't amazing that some stripers continue to gorge themsevles and work hard to catch a bucktail with a full stomach.

I had a striper last week with 4 weakfish to 8 inches in its pouch.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey Tom.

Stop giving that kind of info. BIGGESTJACK will want that served at Barnfest. :D

Stripers are truly swimming seagulls.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Caught them in the Delaware River during the Herring run so packed full of Herring that there were a couple Herring tails sticking out of their mouth...and they still hit my plug, go figure.Their body was so stuffed full that they were shaped like a football with tite, tite skin.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! The seaguls of the ocean.
Yesterdays slotties were full of sand worms and little blue claws.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
My largest striper was a 40 pounder I caught on a half ounce bucktail on January 9th about three years ago. It was in the rips and all the other fish were shorts. When I cleaned it the stomach was stuffed to the limit with fish the size of my thumb nail. Did some checking and found out they were baby butterfish.

It was hard to imagine that a fish that size would bother with targets that small. They are swimming hoovers sucking down everything in front of them. Thats what will guarantee their abundence. By not targeting one certain type of food they will and can survive on just about everything.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fred:
I was thinking today that with so many fish in the rips at one time- they must become a barren waste area. Can you imagine hundreds of fish eating everything in sight in one area???

Amazing there is anything left.
Biggest you have ever caught was in January??????
Wow! I gotta get you out chunking the smelly stuff.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Greencrabs stacked like pringles was pretty neat.
Sand eels, sand eels, sand eels.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Had 2 slot fish last weekend in LE Inlet on clams that were full of 6-8" lobsters. The one fish that was shaped like a football must of had over a half a dozen of them in his stomach. Guy I was fishing with thougth that the fish were coming down from the Shrewsbury Rocks which hold the lobsters?? First I've seen of them. Most of the other bass had eels and my clam chum in them.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Originally posted by BOHICA:
Had 2 slot fish last weekend in LE Inlet on clams that were full of 6-8" lobsters. The one fish that was shaped like a football must of had over a half a dozen of them in his stomach. Guy I was fishing with thougth that the fish were coming down from the Shrewsbury Rocks which hold the lobsters?? First I've seen of them. Most of the other bass had eels and my clam chum in them.
Full of Mantis Shrimp possibly?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Originally posted by Partnership:
Fred:
I was thinking today that with so many fish in the rips at one time- they must become a barren waste area. Can you imagine hundreds of fish eating everything in sight in one area???

Amazing there is anything left.
I was wondering about that when they're in the river. Any smallmouth or walleye moving around when they are in a frenzy .... GULP. Wonder what the impact is on the native species.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts