BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can't we allow anglers to keep 1 smaller fluke (maybe one between 16 and 18 inches) then maybe four above 18 inches. This would at least allow most people to keep something...especially those that don't have the opportunity to get out on a boat.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I like the slot idea, but in reverse....5 keepers, four between 14 and 16 inches, one over 18. Keep alive the goal of a trophy fluke, keep a decent kreel limit, make it somewhat more obtainable for a person to get a limit, and reduce the poundage caught by virtue of size. Bigger flounder are the breeders, so in theory, 7 out of 8 breeders that would be kept would go back to breed anew. This might eliminate, or greatly reduce, that "throwback the dead shortie" scenario Whiskers pointed out as possible.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Think about it, they keep the bag limit at 8 fish because most anglers are not going to catch 8 fish at 18". Why would they make a slot when we are releasing 16.5" fish all summer.

RyanF

·
Registered
648 Posts
it may be too much that they are doing, but im fine with it because when i am 30 i want to still be able to fish for bass and flatties, and the way things are going now...i should be able to catch flounder then

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
basspirate said:
it may be too much that they are doing, but im fine with it because when i am 30 i want to still be able to fish for bass and flatties, and the way things are going now...i should be able to catch flounder then
when your 30 we might not be able to fish anywhere

RyanF

·
Registered
216 Posts
I like the slot too. Did you read in the Fisherman that all of the big flounder in the trawl study were female. If all we keep are big fish and they are female what does that do for the overall health of the fishery. Without females we wont be catching anything.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I'm convinced the reason for no slots is the majority of NJ fisherman aren't smart enough to deal withj slots
I'm currently in Florida for past 2 months and there are slots for almost everything with different slots and regulations in different areas AND the results have been much improved snook, redfish and trout fishing to name 3
I can find no other reason for NJ not having slots
Slots work in all the Gulf Coast States and southeast Altantic States but won't work in NJ as it is too confusing :mad:

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
not sure if they(fisherman) aren't smart enough...perhaps the idiots making the laws/regs aren't smart enough to look into that ...that I will buy...:)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
WELL, I suspect fisherman are voting these idiots into office
VAN DREW is good example ,he co-sponsored the reef bill THAN WHEN IT CAME TO A VOTE IN COMMITTEE HE ABSTAINED
He was voted in overwhelmingly in district one
We have met the enemy and he is US
We (or at least some fisherman) vote these 2 faced politicians in and they select the people who represent us on fishing boards

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
A while back I wrote a post concerning some anglers in the past, when the sizes were 14-15" approx., would throw back dead fish if they caught a BIG one afterward. I claimed that I was told this by anglers themselves.
I claimed that this "breaking of the rules and talking about it" does get out on the streets. I had always thought that it may not be a deciding factor in the planning of regulations, but if one or two guys on the committee hears this as well, I am sure thev'e got it in the back of their minds.
Whiskers, a bit brighter than me was able to hit it in two sentences.
Kevin Bogan

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the slot fish worked fine for stripers. It allowed the people in the areas where there aren't as many big fish to actually keep something. I think we're smart enough to keep a slot size fluke.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
BUCKTAIL WILLIE said:
WELL, I suspect fisherman are voting these idiots into office
VAN DREW is good example ,he co-sponsored the reef bill THAN WHEN IT CAME TO A VOTE IN COMMITTEE HE ABSTAINED
He was voted in overwhelmingly in district one
We have met the enemy and he is US
We (or at least some fisherman) vote these 2 faced politicians in and they select the people who represent us on fishing boards
AHHH i didn't take it that way...that makes sense then:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
smaller flounder

correct me if I'm wrong 5 or 6 ,14 to 16 or even 18 in flounder hold less eggs then one 22 in or bigger flounder . we should if need be take this whole thing to federal court if this is true a limite of smaller fish is better then a hand full of nothing plus they taste better. Six keepers 14 to 18gives everybody what they need.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
frayedknot---you are right on ,larger fluke 18-24" produce the most and most productive eggs
They will start spawning at 13-14" but not nearly as productive as the larger fluke
Unfortunately those making decisions don't understand or refuse to understand this and keep raising the size limit
Slots would allow us to keep more fish for dinner table and there would not be as much pressure on the larger fluke
Common sense is NOT a given where Government is concerned

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
BUCKTAIL WILLIE said:
frayedknot---you are right on ,larger fluke 18-24" produce the most and most productive eggs
They will start spawning at 13-14" but not nearly as productive as the larger fluke
Unfortunately those making decisions don't understand or refuse to understand this and keep raising the size limit
Slots would allow us to keep more fish for dinner table and there would not be as much pressure on the larger fluke
Common sense is NOT a given where Government is concerned

quote of the YEAR:D

·
Registered
342 Posts
slot fish

:cool: A federal court can put a hold on any laws if proff enuff is given to show falt or miss use of it .I still be leave that is the only way we can get any releaf on an unjust law . there has to be a federal judge some were maybe reading this thread that will help us . after all if we make enuff noise one of them mite hear us.:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts