BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01-15 report

I wish I could report that we killed 300 lb bluefin on jig/popper, but we never saw single bluefin on the trip like most other boats.

Fishing was hot on Sat, but they just vacate the area yesterday.
We landed 4 small yft in 25 - 30 lbs range on troll using green stick.
Green stick technique for trolling for tuna are very popular among commercial tuna boats, but it was the first time I saw how it work.

While serching for bluefin we encountered AJ in 20 - 40 lb which were eager to hit
jigs. With 30 lbs drag which were intended for big bluefin, they could pull only a few ft even they tried to charge hard. :)

20 - 40 lb AJ is no contest for 450g two-piece proto-type Black Hole Cape Cod Special, but you can see the moderate/fast action bend.

high sticking test for the rod with AJ. :)

trigger fish are very aggresive. They even hit big jig with very small mouth.

big sun fish

I couldn't test Penn TQR S9 on the trip, but I jigged with it for several hours. Boy, the stiff turning of the handle made me very tiring. I don't want to use the reel for my regular jigging reel unless Penn modify the reel for smoother handling. Turning of the handle is stiff because of sealing.
Jigging and popping is different. You can use stiffer handle for popping, but you need smooth handle for jigging.

I plan to drive down to NC again to fish sunday if weather is good enough.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trigger picture is crazy. I can't wait to know how this release of the torque spinner holds up.
The two-piece 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special and Penn S9 spinning reel are going to be tested heavily on Fri and Sat by Scott and on Sun by myself.
The reel looks solid except stiff handle issue.
It the Penn reel holds up nicely for big bluefin, it could be an alternative to much expensive Stella or Saltiga.
Daiwa Catalina which is going to be released this year can be an alternative too based on preliminary review of the reel.

--------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i read they closed bluefin down on jan 22
The closure is for general category (commercial).

The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) closes the General category (commercial handgear) fishery for large medium and giant BFT (measuring 73 inches curved fork length or greater) effective 11:30 p.m. local time on January 22, 2012, until it reopens on June 1, 2012

for recreational

The current recreational daily bluefin tuna (BFT) retention for limit for HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Headboat vessels is one BFT (measuring 27 to less than 73 inches) per vessel per day/trip. In addition to the daily retention limit, vessels are also allowed one ‘trophy’ BFT, measuring 73" or greater/vessel/year.

My friends fished out of Oregon Inlet yesterday and they found bluefin on the surface. They said they had about 15 bites on popping and jigging.

-------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
got the same report kil....sounds like they found them yesterday....the larger flavor which is always nice...lets see if they can repeat today...

plan on fishing 3 - 4 days in N.C. in march with the boys...need to start the endurance training thing back up soon....

Tight Lines,

Frank

ps concur on the cool pic of the trigger....we have had a few chase down jigs here in florida....my guess is they are thinking the shiny hook is a whitebait or something.....don't think the triggs are really keyed in on trying to asphyxiate themselves by attempting to inhale the jig itself. some good eats right there.....

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frank,
Tuna are generally in the same area as in late season last year.
It looks they are settling down. I have a trip on Wed or Thurs out of Hatteras depending on weather.

Trigger fish actually love to hit jigs. We caught many while jigging grouper in NC.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
01-21 report

I just talked with Scott. They couldn't find tuna today. Weather was not bad in the morning, but tuna left the area. There were many boats fishing commercially as commercial season is closed tomorrow and only one or two boats had tuna.

·
Registered
735 Posts
kil bring the reel to the seminar they will take out the part that seals the reel for surf fisherman, I am pretty sure Mark had it done because of the same complaint.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Scott Stopped by on the way home from NC and was telling me the 2 piece was pretty sweet.. He said he had several fish on them and he was Impressed.
I am also very impressive with two-piece prototype Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging rods. The weight of the spinning rod is 11 oz and conventional rod is only 10 oz. The joint is specially processed for extra strength.
I am eager to introduce the two-piece rods, but I'll wait until serious testings are done.
While the rods are tested for big bluefin in NC, they are going to be tested for big yft in 100 - 200 lb range on the Socorro Trip in Mexico in April as well as for big GT, dogtooth tuna and monster grouper in remote destinations in Asia as a group I know will fish three weeks there in March.

My next trip to NC is on Wed as weather looks good.

----------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts