BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw several posts recently about slow trolling for fluke. I know this is used down south. Interested in anyone's comments regarding this principle as I have not had much success with it. How fast do you troll and what type of rig is used? With or against the tide? Best at low or hi tide? Thanks for any tips and advice.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Mobyduck - I am by no means an expert in trolling for fluke - but heres some basic advice that will work: troll in the direction of the tide/current, troll as fast as you think the tide/current is moving, use the same rigs as you would if you were drifting & troll whenever you cannot get a good drift, regardless of the tide - it should work if the flounder are in the area.

Just my 2 cents - let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
.8 to 2 knots, anglers let the capt know the speed thats allowing them to keep good contact w/ the bottom. I've had succes trolling all ways, most important thing is to troll thru productive areas, but trolling w/ the tide is usually most productive. Most rigs will work, I like them long, 5-6 feet and a 1-2 foot dropper loop for the sinker.

·
Registered
154 Posts
we normally troll in the ocean when there is no wind--we use 5o power pro, long leaders--we tie a sea anchor to our stern cleet ant run at about 1-1.5 knots--10-12 oz weights--sometimes we bail them while people sit around with no drift catching junk fish--so far this year ocean fluking has been sh*#--

·
Registered
121 Posts
i've done well with deep diveing plugs and rattle traps in less then 15' of water.last year caught them to 5# this way.started after hooking fluke when trolling bass with stretch 25 plugs. the diver needs to be digging into the sand.so you need to know the bottem is clean just sand no rocks.hope this helps frank.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I troll for Fluke all the time. I go as slow as my 9.9HP will go. I troll both with the tide and against, sometimes one way will produce while the other direction does not. I use a top and bottom rig with Killies on a 3/0 gold wide gap hook and 2 ozs. I use a short 8" leader on each hook with about 10-12" in between the top and bottom hook. I've tried longer leaders as suggested by some but I could actually feel the Killies get excited and swim away from something trying to get them. I think with the bait moving the Fluke really don't get a good look and strike out of instinct. I cover more ground than drifting and I hit the productive spots over and over until the fish move. I use this method in the back bays and have found it to be the most productive. Some of the spots that are produciong are VERY small.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Saturday while drifting for fluke the water got alittle thin so I just kicked it into reverse to back off the bank and got a keeper while backing down. I was in 3.5' of water.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I will troll my favorite slews surounded by shallow water when the wind and tide are not allowing me a long drift. I zig zag across the tide from bank to bank. Use a heavy sinker and a 7 foot rod held 90 degrees to the gunwhale. When the fish latches on drop the rod tip back toward the stern and strike when the slack tightens up. Have had some awsome catches this way. I do best with small whirly birds or whatever thos things are called in front of a big minnow and strip bait.
Barrell

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
think of trolling as using the engines to nudge the drift where you want it. In my experience, "trolling" for fluke is more like power drifting. Just use the engines to go where you want at the speed you want. It's drifting with some help, that's all.

I generally prefer to move WITH the current. This allows you to get by with less weight and presents the baits in a more natural manner.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
i am guessing that by trolling you are trying to keep the bait in front of the fish as long as you can cause fluke are lazy in nature and don't want to chase the bait as much. like at the old grounds, the water at the bottom is so cold that the fish want the bait to practically land in their mouth. by trolling against the tide, they are sitting facing into the tide and think they have tricked the bait that has just swam in front of his face. just my guess

1 - 11 of 11 Posts