BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sluggos now come pre rigged!!! Thats great news for me, just tie on and catch'em up. I had heard this last year and just saw them on sale.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i think i'll still rig my own. more choice in hook size/quality and how you can weight it. maybe it's me but i just like catching fish on teasers i tie, or plugs i adjust. makes you feel like you are playing an active role.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I saw that

I've never found the need for more than one hook with the sluggos - I think a second hook slows the tail action. I like weight in the front only.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian E. Mullaney said:
I saw that

I've never found the need for more than one hook with the sluggos - I think a second hook slows the tail action. I like weight in the front only.
Do you add any weight to the front or is the hook enough?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Brian E. Mullaney said:
I use 10/0 Octopus on the 9" sluggo - the hook is plenty of weight to cast it.
No change in your hook-up to strike ratio with the single 10/0 gami octopus?

Im trying to figure out the best way to weight the sluggo. I started to substitute my swimmers with the sluggo on light to moderate nights, but its still a bucktail or jig when the surfs up a bit.

RyanF

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
I've heard of folks using a black lure (something like a stubby thex, though I don't think it was actually a thex) on a sluggo to get them down.

anyone remember the specifics?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Point Jude Wobbleheads do a great job rigged with the Sluggos. Gets them down nice and deep. Someone on here with 90 year old knees and I did a number on bass last year with the Wobbleheads.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I rigged the Gulp eels the sluggo way - stopped the bluefish from biting off the eel up to the hook.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I disagree with the assertion that a single hook slug-go will have the same hook up ratio as two hook rig. I've been fishing them for a long time and rig my own. I started fishing with single hook and certainly caught fish. Since going to 2 hook rig I have not noticed decreased strike rate (as long as rigged correctly the action remains) but would say the hook up ratio is better. I know bass tend to inhale from the front, but I still see improved hook-ups and have caught many on tail hook. Of course 2 hooks will certainly help you catch blues too, but when they are around using a slug-go is not the best bet. Just my $.02. (probably all it's worth :p )

·
Registered
87 Posts
LongDrive said:
I disagree with the assertion that a single hook slug-go will have the same hook up ratio as two hook rig. I've been fishing them for a long time and rig my own. I started fishing with single hook and certainly caught fish. Since going to 2 hook rig I have not noticed decreased strike rate (as long as rigged correctly the action remains) but would say the hook up ratio is better. I know bass tend to inhale from the front, but I still see improved hook-ups and have caught many on tail hook. Of course 2 hooks will certainly help you catch blues too, but when they are around using a slug-go is not the best bet. Just my $.02. (probably all it's worth :p )
Have to agree with you. I double rig all my Sluggos and the hook up ratio is a lot better. As far as the new Sluggos go...way over priced! I can rig 9 Sluggos for the price of the new ones. FYI......7 inch Sluggos double rigged are DEADLY!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts