BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired a few small four arm umbrella rigs. They are about a seven inch spread with four 4 inch plastic shads and room for a dropper. Anyone ever troll these in the bays? Seems to me like they should work.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Should work BUT.

I do a lot of trolling in the back. I use rattletraps for weakies and stripers. The big problem with trolling in the back is the many types of weeds suspended in the water column. Nothing will screw up a trolled lure like a clump of weeds.

Even with a single lure I have to pick my days for trolling. Seems like what you have will present a larger target for weeds. I guess it depends where you troll. I do it in a place called Grassy Sound so I'm just asking for trouble.

If you can, snap a rattle on it somewhere. Sound is an amazing asset to any trolled lure. Good luck.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Chunking---
Can you offer any strategies for trolling the rattle traps in the back bay/ICW for stripers and weaks??? I do most of my fishing in the back, and have not yet perfected a method of trolling w/ rattle traps....Do you catch most just trolling rattle traps in the deeper portions of the ICW down deep, or do you troll in the same spots you would cast a Bomber or plastic jig? Also, what size rattle trap works best--- the larger saltwater size, or the "standard" size? And--- when trolling, do you troll against or with the current AND at what depth in the water column do you fish the trap???? Thanks-------Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
I found an old umbrella rig in father in laws shed and was thinking the same as you Eddie. I plan on slow trolling it off my kayak this spring, I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
The last few seasons while fishing just off the beach, I would drop brella rig to bottom and let it jig with boat movement while casting to other fish and sure enough would ctch double headers on it some times 4 fish. If you could stay away from the weeds and choose baits according to forage fish , it should definately work!! Good luck !!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Fred....a while back you put up some nice info about trolling traps. I copied and printed out that info. I also have your VHS tape with that "trolling traps" segment.

My first thought too was that it might be a weed magnet. I do have times in Great Bay that the water seems very, very clear....I'll give it a whirl and see...just wondering if anyone else had actually done it.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey rockdoc.

I troll the saltwater traps and mostly along channels and deep sod banks. It's an early morning or late evening thing for me before the traffic spooks the fish.

I have no idea how far down the traps are but I can tell you that if I am in about 10 feet of water the trap will sometimes bounce along the bottom. My favorite and most productive depth to troll is between 15 and 30 feet of water.

I fish by myself so I use two rod holders one off each side of the boat. They are both adjustable and I set them up so they keep my rods out over the side of the boat. If they were the holders that keep a rod verticle then I would have to let way too much line out to run them correctly. Some times it's the boat traffic behind you that causes the most problems. In close and tight to the boat works best for me.

I will cast one line out as far as I can behind the boat and the other about half the distance. This way I keep the traps at different levels in the water coulmn.

I have many colors to pick from but my go to colors are pink and silver and blue and silver. I am running a 21 foot CC Sea Pro with a 200 hp Yamaha two stroke. I run it at idle and will pop it out of gear every minute or so to keep the boat moving slow. In gear for a minute then out of gear for about ten seconds.

I will give all my favorite spots two good shots. One with the tide and one against. If nothing happens I will move on to the next spot. If one area just smells like fish and I hate leaving it I will make one more pass and take it out of gear more often. Sometimes the slowest retrieve will get the hit.

I always use a snap swivel to a three foot leader. The snap swivel is a big plus. The entire length of your line will pick up grass. It will keep sliding down until it hits the rattle. By using the snap swivel it will sometimes intercept the weeds and give you a few extra minutes of trolling. You can tell real easy when you have weeds on your trap. The rod tip will stop vibrating as the weeds will eliminate the wobble in the lure. When the rod tip stops vibrating pull it in and clean it off.

If I see a lot of suspended weeds in the upper water column I won't even bother trying. It's just constant weed removal.

When you hit fish remember that the school is probably small and in a tight area. Keep working that area. I can usually score well in a two hundred yard area once I find the first fish. When you do hit your fish take the motor out of gear immediately. Many weakies are lost because people fight them while the boat is dragging them around. Remember that when the weakie hit there was a large hole in it's mouth from the initial strike.

I take lots of stripers using this method and one day even limited out on flounder when they were up near the surface feeding on peanut bunker.

Even if you intend on fishing for weakies using bait. Try trolling to locate where they are. You can cover acres in minutes and sometimes finding where they are is the hardest part of weakfishing.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thanks very much, chunking....I agree with you that finding the weakies when they're in small schools in the back can be the hardest part....You offered a lot of good points that I will most definetely be trying come spring/summer.....Once you locate the weakies, do you ever stop and drift/achor and actually cast the trap to the weakies that you found?????Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
Fred, as usual your fishing info is among the best found on the Barn, or anywhere for that matter. In case Rockdoc or anyone else who's reading this post doesn't know, your fishing shows from last year are available for purchase from Ocean Promotions and Chumstain now sells a dvd of one of your drumfishing trips with, again, not only great action but packed with lots of advice and good tips. I have both and am using them to keep my sanity while I wait for the season to break. I admit to being an unabashed fan of Captain Fred Uhlman. Thanks again, Fred, not only for the advice but the enjoyable winter viewing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Haven't tried trolling an umbrella in the back but like chunking I do a lot of trolling there with plugs. I use the same technique of putting the motor in and out of gear but I hold the rod and jig it as I'm trolling. The plug that has been most productive for me has been a silver and black Yozuri crystal minnow and I usually target edges of sandbars and flats 4-6 ft. deep. This has been very productive for me for weaks, stripers, blues and lots of flounder including an 8.4 lb'er 2 years ago that was caught in 2ft. of water. As others have said when there is a lot of grass in the water it becomes very difficult.

·
Registered
16,570 Posts
Seems like this fall there was way more cabbage than normal. We ended up out front many days due to frustration with all that crap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts