BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the smallest boat you have ever been on an overnight canyon trip on? I have heard stories of guys packing on fuel bladders and running some smaller boats out there....but what is the smallest boat you have ever been on for an overnighter? I dont have any personal stories but am interested in hearing some stories.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
My old 25 foot Grady White Trophy Pro. Many many times.

My current 25 Grady White Advance CC. ONCE that was enough :D

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I ran my old 23' SeaCraft out to the Texas Towers area a bunch of times. The canyons were just outside of my range.

That is one of the reasons why I got the Regulator. I have had her 110 miles out and she has range to spare. I just have to watch the weather windows.

Tommy Daffin's dad told me that over a ten year period he ran a 21' Mako out of Brigatine to the the local canyons, many many times.

I asked him how many over nighters he did, and he replied 0.

Peter

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
My 28 Henriques T/Diesel. Not too risky though given the boat but it's the smallest (and least costly) one I've done overnighters on.

J

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep em coming. Ive only done over nighters on boats over 35 personally but have done day trips that lasted close to 24hrs. One trip inparticular took almost 8 hrs coming home in 7 to 10ft seas in a 28 albamarle.......it almost seems worth it during the off season :nuts:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
22ft ProCat to the Baltimore, wilmington, Lindy, 19, hot dog, by my self, I like Jay would not do it again.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
We all must have had loose screws at one point... I look back and think how nuts that was and i would not even think of doing it again.. We entered the SJ shark tourney every year and even made it out several years ago when they ended up canceling it because 10ft seas..

We also went out one Saturday morning at about 2am running full speed with just a gps because it was flat calm.. Never saw a boat all day and could not figure out why..

We found out when we hit the 30 line coming in.. I said look you can see buildings...NOT they where 6-8ft seas that we had to deal with all the way back..We managed to rip the tee top out of the floor that day..

·
Registered
339 Posts
My old 23' Sea Craft w/ Yanmar diesel, Honda generator and we were all set! Made numerous overnighters. Ran out, overnight, trolled all day and back burned 65 gallons of fuel on most trips.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think me running at 40knts in the dark is worse then running out with a small boat. Pick your days, get a raft and EPRIB, pair up with someone and you are all set.
Most boats that make the run have the necessary equipment today i would think. Running fast is always a risk, but you cant always run that fast especially on the ride home. Give me a 27ft boat to run home in flat seas any day. But once those seas get rough id rather be on a bigger boat.:). We all know the seas get A bit rougher even slightly offshore.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
We started fishing the Canyons in a 20" Mako with a single 135 Johnson. Then came a 21' Mako with twin 70 Johnsons.

The Makos both had a flasher paper machine that only went to 360 feet so we always had to ask big boats where we were. No Loran. Just a compass, VHF and the flasher paper machine.

After the Makos came a 23' SeaCraft with twin 140 then 150 Johnsons. This one had plenty of fuel and a great ride for a small boat. Ran it for almost 10 years.

Then came the 31' Bertram. Hard ride. Theboat was bullet proof but really tough on the people on board. Was not the fish catcher the SeaCraft was.

Finally, the 41' Scarborough. Rides like a limo. Great fish raiser.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My buddy did it in a 18 ft maycraft cc two yrs ago with a 115 hp 4 stroke. He spent the night in the baltimore. I told him he was crazy and stupid. He had 3 gallons of fuel left when he got back. He did come in with a #160 mako and a bunch of gaffers.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
My buddy did it in a 18 ft maycraft cc two yrs ago with a 115 hp 4 stroke. He spent the night in the baltimore. I told him he was crazy and stupid. He had 3 gallons of fuel left when he got back. He did come in with a #160 mako and a bunch of gaffers.
Thats some crazy shiet right there . I wouldn't even think about that one. Though I do want to push my limits a little bit this year .

1 - 20 of 178 Posts