BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what tactics i should use on fishing smallmouth in a river and what baits or lures should i use

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have always had luck fishing green pumpkin tubes and gold husky jerks while throwing them at any kind of cover or obstruction in the river like large rocks, eddies, fallen trees or bridge pylons

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
you can use zoom super fluke miniatures baby bass color works well

have had a lot of luck with cabin creek salty spider jigs both large and small variety
they look odd but belive me they work!!!!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Sea Devil said:
you can use zoom super fluke miniatures baby bass color works well

have had a lot of luck with cabin creek salty spider jigs both large and small variety
they look odd but belive me they work!!!!

Right on with the sprider jigs. I am not sure of the size of the super fluke miatures but any fluke style bait like Mr. Twister's RT Slug, Salty Minnows or the super fluke itself and any other 5 inch size bait will take big smallies as well as the little guys. I also like the sebile magic swimmer and their flat shad. Senko's work at as stated above tubes in green pumpkin and junebug.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Smallies will eat ANYTHING that's not nailed down. You just have to present it to them in a way so they're willing to chase it down. Patterns change by season. up to 60degrees, suspending jerkbaits, lipless cranks. Over 55, floating jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, soft jerkbaits. All temps, anything that can imitate a craw. For plastics and jigs, usually green pumpkin, watermelon, black, or smoke is all you'll need. Chartreuse or orange mixed in can be good, too.

Cooler water, usually they'll be in slower water, warmer water they can be scattered and sometimes the best area will be the fastest water you can find.

Don't cast directly upstream or you'll be breaking baits off all day.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
the small zooms are 3 inches compared to the regular ones at 5 inches they call the i belive zoom super fluke jrs

i have hit the kyll with mostly watermelon and pumpkin in the colors for the cabin creek spider jigs i had one pack withe one day last year and went thru it in about 3/4 of an hr :eek: they slam em

wish i could hit the river now with the bass boat but my camper is blocking the garage :mad:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Hellgramites and stone catties when it comes to live bait in the river. You'll never be skunked.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Mike said:
Hellgramites and stone catties when it comes to live bait in the river. You'll never be skunked.
Amen!!!!!I also like the spiders/creature baits/tubes/power twister tails.I like to rig a yellow or white twister on an 1/8 oz jig head and add a shiner to it.:D Biggest smallie so far 23.5" on a *********** grub in the fast water!!!!:D

FC:D

·
Registered
324 Posts
they like everything but for baits you cant beat shiners
i like to stand upstream and let them drift down and into a hole and feel them rip the line out of my hand
crushed the smallies in the brandywine last year
i had a couple in the 3-5 lb range everyday with several rainbows mixed in
all was on 2&4 lb test

1 - 9 of 9 Posts