1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been profiling alot of different artifical
lures the past couple of months that I have had
alot of success fishing. Whether thats been in
the Surf,Around The Inlets,In The Backbays or ICW.
I like to mix it up alot and try different things..
I been into Wood alot lately but I cannot
forget about Hard Plastics/Swimmers...
I love using BOMBERS they flat out catch Bass...
Over
The Years I Keep Hearing About RedFins made by
Cotton Cordell.Late One Night Last Year I Was
Fishing and Not Having Much Success. I did have
a little 4" Black Redfin in my bag so I gave it
a try..Bam!!! I wound up catching some nice fish
on that lure... So This Year I Added A Couple
More... Check These Guys Out -

The 7"/1oz. & 5"-5/8oz Smokey Joe Patterns...

Anybody Have These ? Are They Fish Catchers ?
I know by reading the boards that some of you
swear by them..

[ 03-22-2005, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
178 Posts
Strikes-They work,but....last fall,late at night at IBSP I put the 7 incher on.Hooked up almost immediately to a good fish.After a while the rod tip pops back up.Thought the hook pulled.When I got it back in,I found that the back treble was ripped right off the plug.It might just have been that one plug that was bad,but I'm leery of trying it again.Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hotshot139,

Yep, That is something that would diffently turn you off about a plug...You hate to see something
like that happen especailly if its a very nice fish...
Thanks For The Feedback......

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
NS:

Some friends and I use the redfins regularly in the Spring C&R season on the Susquehanna Flats. The plugs are a good facsimile of herring.

They have a slow, wide wobble that is almost irresistable to bass when retrieved just under the surface. They also perform quite well when "walking the dog" for smashing strikes on the surface in skinny water.

I especially like the largest size ones, but I have used the smaller ones on occasion when the fish wanted a smaller profile bait.

Smokey Joe, Chrome/Black & Chrome/Blue are definitely my favorite colors. The plugs really appear to "light up" when you observe them reflecting light underwater.

The best news is that I have never had any hooks pull out of my redfin plugs, and I have landed numerous trophy bass that ranged from 30 - 43 pounds on them. However, I have never fished them on braid or any mono heavier than 12 pound test.

I suspect that Hotshot's experience with the pulled hook may have been a case of a manufacturing defect, or else the hook attachment may have been damaged from being bounced off of something hard when casted ... like a rock jetty, perhaps?

I find that they are reasonably priced, they have good hooks, and most importantly - THEY WORK ... all that adds up to great plugs in my book!

- Gr8ful One

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
yeah they work
Make a nice "mullet" wake across the top...not the best casters though so fish have to be in "range"! I change the hooks on every single plug I have/buy to VMC's...add some heavy duty split rings and you have a "cow proof" plug :D Nothing like fishing with confidence man!!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Can't add much more than what is above. Redfins have been a go to plug of mine for over 5 years. I tend to fish the chrome/black the most, but have done well on black, white/redhead, chrome/blue, and the smokey's you show. A calm night off the sods in the late spring and summer, it is the lure of choice for me. I always have 2 or 3 in the bag.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
They're a very good lure especially when it real calm. Worked well at the mouth and just inside the pond on quiet nights.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Forgot to mention, in the 2nd wk of Dec. 2003 we got into a bass blitz on IBSP and the water was as calm as a lake. I think the surf was 1-2, inches that is, it was flat. Those using the slow RedFin caught the most fish. My partner didn't have one and was not catching. After a few fish I gave him mine and he hooked up.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've been fishing the larger one exclusively this last year and I'm impressed with how many more fish attack it than any other plug I have used. What has impressed me the most is not only how effective the smokey joe color is at night, even over all black, but also in the day. I've had a bunch of larger fish attack this plug during the day in sunny conditions - exactly when you would think you have no chance of getting a strike from a larger fish.

I've been using the larger one in typical surf conditions to moderately rough and it seems they work just as well as when it is calm. There are times when it seems the smaller one works better than the larger - mostly summer time, and a couple times in the fall - the smaller one often does better in flat conditions.

Redfins are really hollow so the hook can't be attached all that well - I've had the smaller one have hooks pulled off, but not with the larger yet - and I would say I've thoroughly tested the bigger in rough surf conditions on larger fish this past year. They pass the test for me. They are also great for loading.

Short of fishing a Nor'easter, I don't tie anything on but the redfin these days.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have used them with success for about 3-4 years in back and out front off of jetties. I like to swim them real slow they cut a v-wake like no other plug. you can also swim them and as said before they do have great action. I consider it one of my top 5 plugs and have several different color and size combos. my favorite is the smokey joe, I like the all black at night.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The Red Fin has been around for a long time, even before Bomber Long A's. I can remember back in the 70's that it was the go to lure. For a plug to be around that long, it must be pretty successful. While I love the bombers, the Red Fin still catches fish.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Longcast,

But would you trade-in all your Mackeral Bombers for an equal amount of Smokey Joes? ;) ;)

As you know, I always keep a Mackeral Bomber in my bag if nothing else, just to honor you.

- Andy

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Like Gr8ful one, love using the jointed smoky Joe Redfin down on the Susky Flats during the C&R season. Caught some fish in the 20-30 lb class on this plug in the shallows and really seems to imitate an injured herring in the shallows. You can work these plugs REAL SLOW and leave a nice wake behind em. Defintely one of my go-to plugs for sure.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Andy,

You know the answer to that.
, but I have been expanding my lure selection.

BTW, are you going to make it down this year???

Jeff

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Jeff,

I will definitely fish more this year than last. I've got the itch bad. Spring is always a challenge as I am assistant coach on two baseball teams for my son, and also assistant coach on daughters spring soccer team. However, I will find time to fish!

I'll give you a call in next few weeks to get caught up.

- Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts