BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good video for snelling hooks for flounder rigs? Everytime I try it, I don't feel the wraps around the hook shaft are tight enough. They tighten up when you pull the leader end but loosens very slightly when you let go. Don't get me wrong it hasn't failed, but I don't like how it slightly loosens when there is no pressure on the leader.

I think the video I used as a reference sucks.

Any help is appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Cape May Tackle

Give Dan at Cape May Tackle a call. He sells a great tool for this!

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Using the Uni-Knot to Snell a Hook
Provides a strong connection when fishing with bait and using a separate length of leader. You can only use a snell with a leader.

1) Thread six inches of line through the eye of the hook.

2) Hold the line against the hook's shank, and form a Uni-Knot circle.

3) Make five to seven turns through the loop and around the standing line and hook's shank.

4) Tighten by pulling the standing line in one direction and the tag end in the other.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Try animatedknots.com. The biggest thing I found with snelling hooks is you have to tighten the tag end good with a pair of pliers. I had the same problem until I figured out that I was just pulling on the standing line. Now I pull the tag end first then pull on the standing end.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
No Bones

Fred from No Bones Bait and Tackle posted a good series on this subject last summer. You could probably find it with a search for "snelling."

·
Registered
364 Posts
Fred's post is about a year+ old. It's a 3 or 4 part series and is the absolute best! Do yourself a favor and find it---and when you do, do us a favor and post it again.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I put the hook in a bench vise and it helps me get a tight wrap. I also tie a small knot on the tag to keep it from getting lost, then snip it when done.

·
Registered
23,007 Posts
Anyone have a good video for snelling hooks for flounder rigs? Everytime I try it, I don't feel the wraps around the hook shaft are tight enough. They tighten up when you pull the leader end but loosens very slightly when you let go. Don't get me wrong it hasn't failed, but I don't like how it slightly loosens when there is no pressure on the leader.

I think the video I used as a reference sucks.

Any help is appreciated :thumbsup:
Instead of reading Fred's way, stop in at No Bones and watch him do it. He'll give you line to practice with and give you tips. Hands on learning will help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can't get much simpler than the uni-knot snell method.....
Quick and very easy as illustrated above....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts