BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Summer Flounder/Fluke Spring Season is about 24 days old now. Still Early In The Ballgame.

But what are your thoughts so far ?

Positive or Negative ?

If you have been beating them up pretty good so far-
What has been your best bait or method ?

Thanks,,,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Only been out twice for a few hours so far and no keepers. Caught six shorts on Gulp Penny Shrimp and Pro-cut squid strips. Too early to know what my thoughts are but I try to think positive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So far the season's start is looking slow to me. I've had about 4 or 5 throwbacks in about as many days of fishing, 2 of those were real borderline fish - so close I could smell them cooking
. Even so, I haven't put one in the box yet. My go-to bait is a killie/mack. strip combo, and it seems to be working as well as anything, except maybe these gulp shrimp i've been hearing about. For those out there that use'em, do you find them much more productive for keeper fluke, or even fluke in general, than other baits? Whats the best way to rig/fish them? Looking forward to a long and productive season with plenty of flatties :D

·
Registered
408 Posts
Been slow to develop in Barnegat Bay but water temps and slime grass has had a lot to do with it. Up until yesterday we have seen high tide bring clear water and water temps as low as 54 degrees. Once the tide starts ebbing and the water temps raise the fluke turn on for five minutes until it is almost unfishable due to slime grass. This warm spell has bay temps on the west side up in the low 70s which should knock the slime grass down. In addition, we saw a few degree rise in the ocean temp. Fluking should pick up this week.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Finally got out this weekend in Absecon, caught 8 keepers and about 16 throwbacks. Was in a tournament. Out biggest was 3.6lbs and there were some 4 and 5 pounders weighed in.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I think its very POSITIVE. ive caught two over 6lbs already in ocean city and some smaller keepers too. Many short fish also, its gona be gooooood.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
keeper ratio has been very good so far and most shorts are around 16 inches.look for a good late season.largest 6 1/2 pounds in skinny water under 10 feet must be warmer there.rariton bay and shrewsbury river is where they are.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
did well on my first trip out in the backwaters but nada since

maybe a few more weeks ??

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Opening day was two keepers and 6 throwbacks.
A week later, 5 keepers, 2 throwbacks.

Gulp shrimp was the biggest producer.

I might try this coming saturday again.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
For me it will not start up till reefs start to produce. The bay fishing is ok but I would rather fish out front.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
how do you fish gulp shrimp? a bait rig say a hi lo or flounder rig or a trailer on a buck tail?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
bucktail or a jighead...I prefer a jighead for mostly all gulp products. The lighter the better!

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Unfortunately I've only been out twice this season. The first trip was a couple shorts the second trip I landed a nice keeper plus a couple shorts. So far I'm ahead of my pace for last year. (Which isn't hard to do.) The crew I fish with is still experiencing a high throwback to keeper ratio. But we're fishing new territory and I expect our keeper ratio to improve. So far the bait of choice has been the Gulp shrimp. We'll be doing it again this weekend.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
BEHIND WILDWOOD SEEMS SLOW LAST 7 TO 10 DAYS.FISHED IN THE BACK FRIDAY WITH THE MOOCH AND THE DOUCHE BAG LURKER RUT-ROW. 8 THROW BACKS 14 TO 15 " THIN AND THEY WERE JUST LAYING IN THE MUD.THE GUYS I TALKED TO AT NO-BONNER WERE NOT DOING MUCH.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Big Minnows or squid trailed on Big Bites jigs in the bay has been deadly. Pink was hot last weekend, silver the week before. 4 keepers in a short time fishing. Had to pull the boat temporarily. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to getting out a lot this summer. Best year in a long while and it's just begun.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
1 st. day was the best a 24 1/2" within 5 min. then 5 others 17-17 1/2". It's been downhill since then, of the weather (when I can go) hasn't cooperated well. I guess I have about 10 keepers biggest 24 1/2".

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sucks....Fished behind Wildwood this weekend. No boat trafic where I was and No Fish. Good tide, right drift... nothing. Been this way for me for the last 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts