BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
makin some half in halfs and also some other bait fish variations.

Do you guys recommend adding flash to all the clousers and baitfish patterns or do you use some without?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
I like some flash & I like to think that the fish like some also. Welcome & I wish you well.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Personally I always use a little, but don't like too much. I use more on poppers than anything else. Good luck and welcome. Bill

·
Registered
102 Posts
For the few Clousers I tie, if I'm using bucktail I like a mid wing of flash tied sparse extending, per Bob Clouser's instructions, about a 1/4 inch past the end of the buck tail. If I'm tying them using an artificial hair, I preblend the flash into the hair.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I alway put a little flash in almost every fly I make. It just seems natural to put a little something in it. Just seems to give the fly a more natural look in the water.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Funny you posted this topic. I have always put a little flash in everything as well but read a little exert from Alan Coalo this week on his theory that baitfish, when viewed from above will blend in with the bottom and seem rather dull as not to stand out...i.e. no flash. interesting.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't tie a lot but I almost always put a few strands of flash in. I tend to go as lean as possible, but I feel compelled to put something in.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
If you look at bait fish from the side under water, when they are excited or make sudden moves they flash like a small mirrows. This is bay anchoives, sperring, and baby bunker. Look how well spoons, metal jigs and hopkins lures work. Think many times fish just see a flash and has to decide right then, go or no go.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Good point Ray. It depends on the type of strike you want from the fly. If you want to maximize the pure reaction strike then tie a lot of flash. When you are going after more finicky fish the closer to real the better. (at least in my opinion).

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Guys, great feedback and very good point Ray, I see this success in warmwater and coldwater patterns too and the success of spinners in this condition.

I guess I tend towards at least a little flash but sometimes just go straight material. I have been using some ultra hair lately, like the reflection and quaility of the material. Will be cranking out some more patterns before my summer saltwater excersion will post some pics of them.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts