BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you knew of a spot where you are pretty sure that there is striper poaching and shorts being taken would you report this to the Fish and Game?

·
Registered
165 Posts
If they were old and poor, hell no. If they were just ignoring the regulations and belligerent after being informed, hell yes.
Otherwise if you post the location, is it Spot Burning?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have to reluctantly agree here...... I would never make a point turn in someone trying to put food on the table. That being said: Im not about to go and initiate a confrontation to determine if thats the case. Im just going to dial it in and let others sort it out.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I would make a phone call. I follow the rules and regs, so should everyone else, no one is entitled just because they are poor, don't speak english or feel the need to have to bring something home every time they go fishing. If they want to bring meat home, then maybe they should try perch fishing or targeting bluefish from the surf (which there are plenty of snapper blues around)

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Schrade above has it right

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ok, so how do you know if a poacher is poor? A little rip in the knee of their pants, a patch, soiled shirt or because they are fishing with a Shakespeare Alpha surf rod and reel combo with mono line- if thats the case, then hell I guess I can keep whatever I want because I or any fisherman can fit that description........ or do you engage in a conversation with them? There's lots of people out there that can talk up a good sob/B.S. story.

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
This reminds me of the first thread I ever started here when I first joined the Barn. I knew of some guys, not friends, I just knew who they were, that were catching Bass in the back in January and asked what people thought about calling it in. It was titled "a question on ethics" I think. Long story short I remember one reply in particular from a guy named Cyclops I think. He said, " it feels good when you do something that is legal, something is ethical when it feels good after you do it". Always thought it was rather profound.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I thought I'd let it simmer a bit before details. The guys are local to the spot. I can tell they come back quite a bit. The area has a bit of trash but not too bad. Looks like they might spend some late nights there. There looked to be some evidence of some other activities. I found evidence of some twigs placed in the trail. "Moonshiner type tricks" to see if someone has been back to there spot. That tells me there is some concern on their part.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Report them. Period. I want my kids to catch fish when they are my age. Rich, poor, English speaking, non English speaking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
why does being poor exclude someone from the laws everybody else must follow? Do cops let them keep the merchandise they steal if they are poor? this kind of BS drives me crazy! here are the new flounder regs for next year......3 at 18" unless your poor, take what you want.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so how do you know if a poacher is poor? A little rip in the knee of their pants, a patch, soiled shirt or because they are fishing with a Shakespeare Alpha surf rod and reel combo with mono line- if thats the case, then hell I guess I can keep whatever I want because I or any fisherman can fit that description........ or do you engage in a conversation with them? There's lots of people out there that can talk up a good sob/B.S. story.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man do you know your fellow NJ people. You must be an old South Jersey native because these yougins bite on that SOB story **** like everytime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts