BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come there haven't been any details posted good or bad? Some of us couldn't make it, I'm interested in hearing what the meeting was all about...how many people? Topics? Do we have a chance?

Anything...I've been dying to hear about both meetings actually...and haven't heard squat about them yet....help me out guys:)

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Kinda funny no news...with all the polls and threads posted pre regs thought it would be all over the barn by now:confused:

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Chef- we are posting in Cyclop's thread on flounder fishing in this forum.

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131312

It was a very good meeting- but pretty pitifully attended for what I expected. Maybe my expectations were too high. I asked around for you hoping to meet ya last night. We'll catch up one of these days.

BTW- I thought the Barn was pretty well represented last night.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Chef--

The meeting was very informative. They discussed the legislative and science portion of it and broke the laws down. Basically what I got out of the meeting was, tell your friends, family, enemies, fellow hunters, trappers and all other sports enthuasists. We need help now and we should work as a team. They went on to say Summer Flounder is the 1st of many targeted fish that could be affected if this law goes through followed by sea bass, scup, and tilefish to name a few. The SSFFF has hired a top notch scientist to lead the effort but he is also working with Rutgers and other Universities. From the credentials they read off, this is the guy we need, he has worked for the "other" side. But like I said we really have to get the voice to other people, not just in NJ beause this will be voted on everywhere, from Texas to Maine from California to Florida and everywhere in between. A lot of good questions were asked by the public, including the possible quotas and size requirements, but like Mr. Bogan said they want the fish levels to increase 2 fold in as little time as possible. If something could have the same result in an additional 2-3 years without hurting anyone, why not??

To the committee for the SSFFF, Thanks for your help- we really do appreciate all the hard work you guys and gals put forward.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I attended the meeting last night. Received a lot of good information concerning the efforts of SSFFF to hire scientists to look into the actual amount of flounder stocks we have now. Hopefully we can gather enough information to avoid the fishery from being shut down. Probably about 100 people in attendence. I thought everyone who spoke gave good presentations. We need to contact our Congressmen and Senators to inform them about this situation and for thier support.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Scout, it was nice to meet you last night.

Chef, everything that was said at the meeting has already been said on this and other message boards around the state. The main point of the meeting was that they have the scientist, they have the legislators, now they just need our support through donations and by getting the word out.

It was nice to meet all of the folks that work "behind the scenes" in person. Thank you all for taking your time away from your buisinesses and families to make something like this possible.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
theREELmasterBAITER said:
.............they want the fish levels to increase 2 fold in as little time as possible. If something could have the same result in an additional 2-3 years without hurting anyone, why not??.............
Why are we willing to settle on adding a measly 2-3 years to what is clearly an impossible timeframe?

Not to pick on your question, but why can't we have regs/quotas/laws/whatever that allow the biomass to grow a little EVERY year and then keep them in effect for the foreseable future? Decades even?

Maybe those regs would allow the Fluke biomass to double (we still don't know that is even possilbe), but if so, wouldn't such regs accomplish the "double" and then let the species continue to flourish?

Is that SO easy to understand, and does that make SO much sense that when you consider that such a policy is not being considered, does it make you wonder if there are other motives at work here?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I was there as well. When they were sitting there lecturing us on how we should network and tell everybody we know even in other states, i couldn't help but wonder why nobody has come up with the idea of starting a forward email? It is one the the fasted ways to get millions of people all over the world to hear about an issue.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Kyle said:
I was there as well. When they were sitting there lecturing us on how we should network and tell everybody we know even in other states, i couldn't help but wonder why nobody has come up with the idea of starting a forward email? It is one the the fasted ways to get millions of people all over the world to hear about an issue.
Because spamming people worldwide was not part of our plans ;)

Seriously though, it is also considered one of the most ineffective ways to garner support for a cause.

Having been on the internet since shortly after it was called the ARPANET, running a bulletin board for years, I can honestly say I have NEVER done anything but delete a forward e-mail.

It is more often than not seen as spam.

One nice thing though, you can easily start one yourself. As we stated at the meeting (I didn't realize I was lecturing you, I thought we were trying to explain what we are doing and how YOU can help) we need all the help we can get. If you think it's a good idea, send us your version of what you would do (go to the website and e-mail us from there) and the Board will look at it.

We cannot think of or do everything, that's why we need suggestions like yours!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
JoeyZac said:
Why are we willing to settle on adding a measly 2-3 years to what is clearly an impossible timeframe?
No one ever said they were settling for any timeframe. The 2-3 years is an EXAMPLE.

As I stated at the meeting "If we could rebuild a fishery, for example, in 15 years instead of ten.......etc. etc."

You made the point we have been making all along.

Isn't it the destination that is the important part (being rebuilt in the case of fisheries) not how short the journey is?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
CaptTB said:
...........Isn't it the destination that is the important part (being rebuilt in the case of fisheries) not how short the journey is?
The destination imo is the ONLY part that really matters at all.

The "how short" part is what the Enviros are hanging over our heads, and based on how it is being used against us, I do not see any of this as being "good faith" negotiations.

We are talking about how to preserve a fishery.

They are trying to stomp out the entire industry.

To me, that is the biggest problem here, that we have two groups ("us" and "them") with different goals.

Until we make it clear that their goal (the banning of hunting/fishing) will not be tolerated and we view their goal with disdain as we toss it off to the side of the road, I'm not really sure how much progress we can make, especially if we are the only ones truly proceeding on "good faith".

("good faith" meaning we want to preserve a fishery, so that is can be used for comm and rec purposes)

·
Registered
90 Posts
it was there last night and I left with a better understanding of the situation. Very good talk by all the board members, capt. tony explained the legislative and scientific sides of the problem. I got plenty of info to pass on the the guys I fish with in Delaware now hopefully now it will be clear that this isn't a state by state issue. it's alot bigger than that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
CaptTB said:
Because spamming people worldwide was not part of our plans ;)

Seriously though, it is also considered one of the most ineffective ways to garner support for a cause.

Having been on the internet since shortly after it was called the ARPANET, running a bulletin board for years, I can honestly say I have NEVER done anything but delete a forward e-mail.

It is more often than not seen as spam.

One nice thing though, you can easily start one yourself. As we stated at the meeting (I didn't realize I was lecturing you, I thought we were trying to explain what we are doing and how YOU can help) we need all the help we can get. If you think it's a good idea, send us your version of what you would do (go to the website and e-mail us from there) and the Board will look at it.

We cannot think of or do everything, that's why we need suggestions like yours!
Not trying to argue, but it wouldn't be a spam if your not lying to people and trying to cheat them out of their money and we all know this is an honest cause. You could start by stating the facts and include a link to the website where people can go for further informantion. Honestly, there are different types of foreward emails the scams usually come from people you don't know. Forward emails that are sent friend to friend have a better liklihood of being checked out. Its just like advertising, even if people just read it and don't take any further action, you still got their attention and its one more person that wouldn't have known about our cause. Sorry about my choice of wording when i said lecturing, i'm a college student and lecturing is considered teaching, i didn't mean any disrespect. Althought i do have some knowledge on this issue i do not feel i would be the best person to design one, because i would most likely leave out some crucial information.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I was talking to some politicians today and they said that personalized letter or emails do a hundred times more good than receiving a thousand pre-drafted emails. It takes a little more time but I am going to draft an email with a picture of myself as a youth with a flounder and question whether they want that experience to become a part of history. They have all been fishing a couple of times in their lives. I think if everyone takes the time to draft something on a personal level it wouldnt be where they see the same heading and delete the email without reading it.

RyanF

·
Registered
431 Posts
Any politicians show up for the South Jersey meeting? I covered the Manasquan one for the newspaper and we had a few.

I'd assume Adler, Van Drew, Asselta (is he still in office?) would have shown up.

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Just Adler others had meetings:rolleyes:
TurboDan said:
Any politicians show up for the South Jersey meeting? I covered the Manasquan one for the newspaper and we had a few.

I'd assume Adler, Van Drew, Asselta (is he still in office?) would have shown up.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I'll be glad to take care of Milam, Van Drew, and Albano. I'm surprised they were not there as they seem to be EVERYWHERE. I'll need to get some "guts" of the stuff from website.

Who is working the captain's associations like the Fortescue group and the CM group? I'm surprised there weren't more charter and head boat guys there. I'd think they would be super-worried about next year.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tom...I'm responding late to your post...yea I wanted to be there but I'm working 7 days so I can go on Vaca next week...

We shall meet up one of these days...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Partnership said:
I'll be glad to take care of Milam, Van Drew, and Albano. I'm surprised they were not there as they seem to be EVERYWHERE. I'll need to get some "guts" of the stuff from website.

Who is working the captain's associations like the Fortescue group and the CM group? I'm surprised there weren't more charter and head boat guys there. I'd think they would be super-worried about next year.
Actually, we've already done 2 industry meetings specifically for businesses. The first was in November in Belmar and the second was in December in Absecon. Plus, CaptAdam and I went to Cape May in Jan. and spoke to the association, I was at the Pt. Pl. Charterboat Assoc. this past Wednesday.

Most of industry is aware, we just need the rest of them to help out when and where they can!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts