BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my grandparents had a candy store on the bay in the villas back in the sixties and they lost it during the 62 storm. they lived on cloverdale ave next to the old THE INN restaraunt and there was an old pier running out into the bay that we used to fish from. i have pics from when my dad and grandpop caught a 60 and 65 lb drum from that pier.

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
The good old days, how about the ice cream store on Bayshore ave? Or the Villas Lumber Yard? How about Pirates Cove Bar? St Raymond's Church Bingo?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I remember spending a month every summer in the Villas with my family as a kid. My dad would come down on the weekends and take me fishing on that pier. We would catch sandsharks, croakers, snapper blues and weakfish.

I think it was called Stremenski's Pier or something like that?

Sorry that it's gone.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I remember spending a month every summer in the Villas with my family as a kid. My dad would come down on the weekends and take me fishing on that pier. We would catch sandsharks, croakers, snapper blues and weakfish.

I think it was called Stremenski's Pier or something like that?

Sorry that it's gone.
If I remember correctly it was called "Neeliespier",we spent every summer in the Pink house down the street from there.Ahhhhh the good ol' days:)

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I remember correctly it was called "Neeliespier",we spent every summer in the Pink house down the street from there.Ahhhhh the good ol' days:)
you are correct:).bob neely had the little house on the corner with the boat rentals. my familys house was next door. bob had a friend who was the victim of incest and had deformed hands and face.:(.back in the seventies my uncle would dock his boat there for free.never had to worry about any harm to it.once that pier was gone we would use the old railway rental place up the beach a little ways.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I used the railroad "ramp" quite a few time till we got caught in a storm, it was low tide and had a real hard time trying to get in we were getting pounded till the trolley came out and we hooked up. Rented boats from Bob Neelys quite a few times.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I did spend a lot of summers in the Villas and remember a lot of the good times. There were a few piers in the VIllas back in the 50's and 60's. Starting from the North end of the Villas the first one was Wroyces' pier and I think it was on on Jacksonville ave. The next pier was Abbanatti's pier on Schellinegr ave which at a later time became Lazinski's pier. Smitty's bar had a private pier which was lost in the storm of the mid sixties. The railway was on Oak ave and it was called the Bayview Marina Railway. Jackson's and Neeley's piers were at the south end of the Villas on Cloverdale and Wildwood aves. The crabbing was also very good from these piers.:D:D:D

·
Registered
185 Posts
I did spend a lot of summers in the Villas and remember a lot of the good times. There were a few piers in the VIllas back in the 50's and 60's. Starting from the North end of the Villas the first one was Wroyces' pier and I think it was on on Jacksonville ave. The next pier was Abbanatti's pier on Schellinegr ave which at a later time became Lazinski's pier. Smitty's bar had a private pier which was lost in the storm of the mid sixties. The railway was on Oak ave and it was called the Bayview Marina Railway. Jackson's and Neeley's piers were at the south end of the Villas on Cloverdale and Wildwood aves. The crabbing was also very good from these piers.:D:D:D
My nana & pop-pop lived across the street from Abottnotti's pier. I worked at Bayview as a kid riding the rail and pushing evryone out to the bay for a day of fishing. Don't for get Layer's Dutch kitchen, John and Mary at the Cloverdale Inn, Leatherneck pier. The fishing club, smitty's..Jackson's pier. I pretty much have stock in Camden glass from all the windows i broke in my pop pop's garage. Damn happy childhood.:)

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My nana & pop-pop lived across the street from Abottnotti's pier. I worked at Bayview as a kid riding the rail and pushing evryone out to the bay for a day of fishing. Don't for get Layer's Dutch kitchen, John and Mary at the Cloverdale Inn, Leatherneck pier. The fishing club, smitty's..Jackson's pier. I pretty much have stock in Camden glass from all the windows i broke in my pop pop's garage. Damn happy childhood.:)
my grandparents lived next door to the old inn. do you know any of the magills?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I worked at Abbanatti's pier in the mid 60's loading the rowboats for the fishermen and running the towboat. Try running a towboat today at 15 years old. I also loaded the big soda cooler with ice and wrapped and sold bait. I think it was Neeley's pier that was sold and became the Leathernecks. There was a manmade lake back then and spent a lot of hot afternoons there in the water. That's when the Villas was dirt roads with liquid asphalt spread on top of the dirt. It was a great time but unfortunately it all seems to have been lost with progress.:huh: There was only one thing that out numbered the fishing piers and that was the bars.:confused:

·
Registered
185 Posts
i will try and get some pics and take them with my camera to post
The Magill that I know is Jimmy Magill the builder. Every time i drive by my grandparents old home with the vacant lot next door still vacant, man I would love to buy it back to keep in the family. I lived in bayshore west the north side of townbank road. Grandma's every sunday for chicken dinner.
Anyone remember the green tar shanty between the villas and north cape may. My dad and my uncles would row out about 100 yards and bail drum and weakies. As a kid I would ride my bike to the bay, pick any jetty throw a crab trap on one side and fish of the other and come home with a basket of crabs and weakies ( MID 70'S). i'M 48 NOW.. THANKS FOR DREDGING UP SOME NICE MEMORIES...John:thumbsup:

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the magill that i know is jimmy magill the builder. Every time i drive by my grandparents old home with the vacant lot next door still vacant, man i would love to buy it back to keep in the family. I lived in bayshore west the north side of townbank road. Grandma's every sunday for chicken dinner.
Anyone remember the green tar shanty between the villas and north cape may. My dad and my uncles would row out about 100 yards and bail drum and weakies. As a kid i would ride my bike to the bay, pick any jetty throw a crab trap on one side and fish of the other and come home with a basket of crabs and weakies ( mid 70's). I'm 48 now.. Thanks for dredging up some nice memories...john:thumbsup:
jimmy is my uncle.they now live in west virginia.

·
Registered
185 Posts
jimmy is my uncle.they now live in west virginia.
I hope all is well with him and the family. Jimmy used to be one of those guys that was always at the rec. coaching us kids. Great guy, he could play some hoops too! Did any of his boys take over the buisness? Tommy and Jimmy I think / daughter 's Traci if memory serves me right.
I work up near you, "psyche hospital". If your down this way I live in CMCH and keep my boat at Brezeelee free open invite. Actual, I could use the pointers, I'm a hack of a fisherman but boy is it fun. Later John

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I remember Abbananti's pier very well and spent many fine times there in the late 50's and early 60's. My folks had a cottage at the foot of Tampa Ave, on the land side of Bayshore. The old cottage has been replaced by a two story home, but the old wooden single car garage is still there.
Ah, the memories of walking that beach, feeling that course sand through my toes, and plodding thru the mud at low tide and launching the boat off the beach with rollers. How about the Tastee Freeze, anyone remember that? Different world back then! Went in the service in 1965, and my first visit to the Villas since then was last fall. The only thing I recognized was the old garage. My brother has the old family photographs, I'll have to see if I can scan some.
What happened to the old piers, closed because of lack of business, or did a sorm take them away, and they were never rebuilt?

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I hope all is well with him and the family. Jimmy used to be one of those guys that was always at the rec. coaching us kids. Great guy, he could play some hoops too! Did any of his boys take over the buisness? Tommy and Jimmy I think / daughter 's Traci if memory serves me right.
I work up near you, "psyche hospital". If your down this way I live in CMCH and keep my boat at Brezeelee free open invite. Actual, I could use the pointers, I'm a hack of a fisherman but boy is it fun. Later John
JIMMY-[JAY] AS WE CALL HIM is still running the bussiness what little of it is left.him and his wife along with traci are living in the house on maryland.pat and jim and steve and ann all moved to west virginia. tommy also lives on maryland. by the way my boss lives behind the hospital and i sell to the hospital.scottie and hector are my contacts.

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I remember Abbananti's pier very well and spent many fine times there in the late 50's and early 60's. My folks had a cottage at the foot of Tampa Ave, on the land side of Bayshore. The old cottage has been replaced by a two story home, but the old wooden single car garage is still there.
Ah, the memories of walking that beach, feeling that course sand through my toes, and plodding thru the mud at low tide and launching the boat off the beach with rollers. How about the Tastee Freeze, anyone remember that? Different world back then! Went in the service in 1965, and my first visit to the Villas since then was last fall. The only thing I recognized was the old garage. My brother has the old family photographs, I'll have to see if I can scan some.
What happened to the old piers, closed because of lack of business, or did a sorm take them away, and they were never rebuilt?
there was no up keep on those piers. mother nature took them.i wasnt born until you went in the service,so you have some old memories than i

·
Registered
369 Posts
great posts guys been coming down to seashore campsites spending the hole summer when i was a kid now at 50 i have my own site i remember the resturants and railroad that was so cool took my son fishing out of there many of times but not the piers if they were there i would have been on them with my dad and brothers looks like memories never change just time

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
All the piers along the bay were put up and taken down every season. Mike Abbanatti would start putting the poles in at low tide some time in the beginning of April. Remember now they were only those skinny pine trees and do you remember how they use to sway when several peolple walked on the pier at the same time. Most of the owners were probably in their 60's around the end of the 1960's. Those piers required hard work and long hours. When you rented a boat you had the boat from 6 in the AMm until 6 in the PM and sometimes the fiserman would get lost . Wroycees' pier closed down and sold the property and went to Florida I think it was around 1969. The same with Abbanatti but he did sell the property to the to Lazinski family. It took them a few years to get through all the red tape with the Rapian rights and how they had to rebuild the pier and upgrade the entire property. They were required to use certain size poles and the planking had specific standards. I think all the piers were also starting to be regulated for Liability purposes and that also had something to do with the demise of the piers. The Fishing Club pier came down in a storm and never put back up because of the cost. I think Neeley and Jackson's fell to the same fate and closed in the early 70's. Don't know for sure because I was in the Army for couple years. It was around that time that the fishing was also slacking off with the weaks and the croackers disappearing.:mad::mad::mad:

1 - 20 of 140 Posts