BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good memories...

Wow all good stuff in this thread, I spent every summer in the Villas from 1950 thru 1965 and enjoyed reading all of your memories. My family bought their first house on Woodland st. in 1952 brand new from Millman builders it had outdoor plumbing including a hand pump for water, we upgraded to Walnut St. in 1957 with indoor plumbing. The Bayview Marina railway back then was actually a pier, it was called Shep's, Shep and his wife ran everything, he the pier and she the store with bait & tackle, hot dogs and soda. The pier was lost to a storm and Shep retired, the new owner built the railway and later turned half the parking lot into motel rooms.
I read a mention of the fishing off of the "green shack", the shack was actually a private fishing club called the Brother's Fishing Lodge. It was between the southern most pier in the Villas "Walt Sobolaski's" and Town Bank.

As for Jim McGill, he was one of my buddies, he lived on Spruce St. at Bayshore. His nickname back then was "Gutsy" and along with Wayne Toogood and Dodo Fulton we were always up to no good. We "met" the Villas police sargent( Bill Holbruner) and he turned us kids around, he was a great guy.

I won't bore you all with anymore but I will add that I worked at Neeley's pier as a pier boy for a few seasons and remember him getting the first fiberglass boat that anybody had every seen, everybody preferred clinkerbuilt boats.

Thanks for bringing back these and many more memories.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you for the memories..Please more. I can't get enough. I am headed there this week end in hopes I can see the pink house. Do you remember Gais Market on the corner of Bates and Bayshore?
I remember Gais's Market........had the best cheese cake, crumb buns and chocolate dipped donuts in town. Do you remember the original Villas news stand before it blew up in a gas explosion and moved across the street. And Clem the manager at the Villas five and dime?

·
Registered
21 Posts
you are correct:).bob neely had the little house on the corner with the boat rentals. my familys house was next door. bob had a friend who was the victim of incest and had deformed hands and face.:(.back in the seventies my uncle would dock his boat there for free.never had to worry about any harm to it.once that pier was gone we would use the old railway rental place up the beach a little ways.
That friend of Bob's had webs between his fingers and toes along with the facial issues, he took a lot of teasing about it, he was a really nice guy and his name was Harry Clapp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Neeley's was Cloverdale but wasn't there a bar about 5-6 buildings up from the pier? I thought Cloverdale was at the corner and Bayshore. There was an old fishing club building in the dunes about a mile south of Wildwood Ave situated about 150 yds from the beach. Cannot remember the name of the club right now. There was a small dirt road off Bayshore that went back into the building. Think the building probably fell down over time as it was not used after about 1960.
That old fishing club was called the "Brothers Fishing Club"..........it also was the location of the "green shack", that was mentioned in few posts, that was used as a marker for the drum fish hot spot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For some reason I couldn't think of the name of the original owner of Bayview Marina. I was stuck on the name of Harry for some reason. But now I see it was Tony.:thumbsup:
Actually I'm a little older than all of you folks......the original name of the Bayview/ Bob's/ Tony, etc. was Sheps. Shep actually built the place and it was a pier orginally. He quickly tired of putting it back up every year and converted it to the railway. This was in the mid 50's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wildwood Ave. pier was Walt Soboloski's Pier. Leatherneck and Jackson's were one in the same, just different times. The "green shack" between Wildwood Ave. and Town Bank was called the "Brother's Fishing Lodge". Way back in the day that area was all wooded and I used to gig frogs in the streams running through there. There was a small dinner on Bayshore Road at the south end of the Villas who would buy my frog legs.....that's how I earned my boardwalk money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts