BASS BARN banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
bay bum.
before our time. my granparents had the candy store on the bay side before the storm washed it away in the early sixties.
Hey phish I know all your people as they know me this is a great thread though I wish I would have seen it earlier probley know you too just didn't know it

·
Registered
35 Posts
The blind man in the Candy Store was Mr. Parker and the owner of the liquor was his brother. I lived in PA at the time and would come to my grandmother's bar (Marie's Inn) often. I would always go to the candy store and get penny candy. Every time I would go into the store, Mr. Parker would say, "Hello Bob." I could never figure out how he knew it was me. My parents told me he knew my footsteps!

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The blind man in the Candy Store was Mr. Parker and the owner of the liquor was his brother. I lived in PA at the time and would come to my grandmother's bar (Marie's Inn) often. I would always go to the candy store and get penny candy. Every time I would go into the store, Mr. Parker would say, "Hello Bob." I could never figure out how he knew it was me. My parents told me he knew my footsteps!
tell that to a kid today and see the response....lol.
the good ol days..

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
He could count change better than the kids at MickyD's cna today. He even was able to determine the bill denomination for the Sunday paper

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
bay bum.
before our time. my granparents had the candy store on the bay side before the storm washed it away in the early sixties.
Was the store next to the Villas Fishing Club? If so it was washed away with the Fishing Club pier at the same time.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Last rickety pier south was Walt's Soboleski, had a railroad ramp.
The railway was on Oak ave and the last two piers in the Villas was Jackson's and Neeley's. I think the sts were Wildwood and Cloverdale.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Sorry Bay but there was one more south of Neeley's which had a rr, it was Walt's on Wildwood Ave. Walt would stake his flatbottom skifs just off the beach. I lived on Wildwood Ave so I am sure of the fact.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
it became Jacksons after it was walts. Walt lived right across wildwood from the pier. I lived at 111 Wildwood 78-81?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Junkman, I lived at 801 WIldwood from '53 to '68 when I joined USCG and lived there off and on while stationed on Alert, Brandywine and 14 ft light. Walt and his wife lived in the store and eventually moved to a new home in the lot across the street. Kept pound nets off the pier area for a while. I guess Jackson's was much later after I left USCG and moved to Warrington in about '74/75 while going to Temple Uni.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I guess my memory is not as good as I thought. I only remember 4 piers in the Villas. At the north end the two piers were Wroycee's and Abbinatti's. There was the railway on Oak and two piers at the nort end on Cloverdale and Wildwood. Back in the day wasn't Wildwood the last street? A left turn on Wildwood right before the pier was old Townbank Rd. A dirt and cinder speedway?? What pier was on Cloverdale and what pier was on Wildwood? The only pier I remember being open in the early 70's and after was Lazinski's which was Abbanatti's old pier. Just trying to remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
BB Wildwood Ave. was Walt's and Lil his wife. Cloverdale was Neeleys. What was the name of the bar on the street? You turned left at Poplar off Wildwood and 2nd right then left for the Town Bank road but that was not cut through until they dug the gravel pits back near the old fishing club. They eventtually closed and filled in those gravel pits when some idiot dove in and broke his neck. The pits down by Higbee's Beach were still being used as swimming holes in the early '70's. Eventually the "road" was overgrown with weeds and trees but the holes are still there. Anyone remember the old draw bridge over the canal? How about Sally Starr's boat in what is now SJ Marina? Remember the night club where the restaurant is now with the band the played Three Dog Night songs?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Capt Randy where was the olf fishing club you talk about? Then Walt's sold and it became Jackson's? Which of those then became the Leatherneck's pier? Are you talking about the Cloverdale Inn?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Neeley's was Cloverdale but wasn't there a bar about 5-6 buildings up from the pier? I thought Cloverdale was at the corner and Bayshore. There was an old fishing club building in the dunes about a mile south of Wildwood Ave situated about 150 yds from the beach. Cannot remember the name of the club right now. There was a small dirt road off Bayshore that went back into the building. Think the building probably fell down over time as it was not used after about 1960.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Are you talking about the Cloverdale Inn?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The Cloverdale Inn was a couple houses up from Neeley's pier. The bar you may be thinking of was the WHALE HOUSE or WHALERS COVE on Bayshore Rd.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
the cloverdale inn was a couple houses up from neeley's pier. The bar you may be thinking of was the whale house or whalers cove on bayshore rd.
cloverdale inn was on cloverdale ave, same side as bob neelys house. There are two houses a still there in between bobs house and the inn. Junkman posted the pics of the two houses on the prior page. The house closest to bobs was my grandparents house. About 6-8 years ago my cousin ann schaffer sold the house, and her father is jim mcgill of mgill builders.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts