BASS BARN banner
101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Bayshore Rd andCloverdale was the Whalehouse Whalers Cove was in North Cape may at Scott Ave( now harpoon Henrys)

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
no- cloverdale in was on the beach block towards the bay. There was a bar on bayshore called the highland cafe in that part of town- i think the auto part store or the building that was the bbq joint was where it stood.
cloverdale inn was on cloverdale ave. That building,then a house,them my grandparents house, then bob neeleys then the bay

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I think the Highland Cafe was sold (70's) and it became the Whalehouse and I think it was around Birch Ave. I think it burned down or was torn down.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Between Cloverdale and Evergreen Aves on Bayshore

·
Registered
21 Posts
Neeley's was Cloverdale but wasn't there a bar about 5-6 buildings up from the pier? I thought Cloverdale was at the corner and Bayshore. There was an old fishing club building in the dunes about a mile south of Wildwood Ave situated about 150 yds from the beach. Cannot remember the name of the club right now. There was a small dirt road off Bayshore that went back into the building. Think the building probably fell down over time as it was not used after about 1960.
That old fishing club was called the "Brothers Fishing Club"..........it also was the location of the "green shack", that was mentioned in few posts, that was used as a marker for the drum fish hot spot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Phish - Looks like you started this thread 4 years Ago. I have to say it was a great read. I wasnt around in the 50s, 60s, or most of the 70s, but I remember a Pier at the end of cloverdale road. My parents bought a set of houses on cloverdale in the mid seventies I believe. Unfortunately they had to be demolished in the late 80s/Early 90s. I remember the bar down by the pier, and I remember spending summers there from around 1979 - 1985. We lived at 213 cloverdale ave. right next to Mr & Mrs. Dodds. I also remember many characters from that time including Don "Hambone", Jimmy Dodds, and Clancy.

One particluar memory was fishing with my dad off of that pier at night when I was about 6, catching a sand shark and being so afraid of it i ran and knocked my dads 50 year old filet knife and case into the bay. He cursed me for months for that one. We looked for it over and over and never found it.

Thanks for starting this thread it brought back alot of memories for me as well.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Phish - Looks like you started this thread 4 years Ago. I have to say it was a great read. I wasnt around in the 50s, 60s, or most of the 70s, but I remember a Pier at the end of cloverdale road. My parents bought a set of houses on cloverdale in the mid seventies I believe. Unfortunately they had to be demolished in the late 80s/Early 90s. I remember the bar down by the pier, and I remember spending summers there from around 1979 - 1985. We lived at 213 cloverdale ave. right next to Mr & Mrs. Dodds. I also remember many characters from that time including Don "Hambone", Jimmy Dodds, and Clancy.

One particluar memory was fishing with my dad off of that pier at night when I was about 6, catching a sand shark and being so afraid of it i ran and knocked my dads 50 year old filet knife and case into the bay. He cursed me for months for that one. We looked for it over and over and never found it.

Thanks for starting this thread it brought back alot of memories for me as well.

Thanks,

Jim
cool........lots of memories for me also.
my family there was the yaworski and mcgill and schaefer families.
chris.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am so happy I stumbled upon this thread. I grew up on Cloverdale. Lived there from 1953 until 1970 when I married and moved to North Cape May. This thread has reminded me of what a wonderful childhood I had growing up there. So many memories!

Our bus stop was in front of the Highland Cafe. I remember standing in the doorway during rainy weather. (imagine doing that today). There was a store on the corner of Cloverdale and Bayshore called Clark's (Clarkie's to us). And, of course, the store at Neely's pier. We used walk the beach searching for soda bottles that we would then turn in for two cents each and buy penny candy. Real penny candy.

If I wasn't on the beach or the pier then I was at Bowman's lake. I used to get a season's pass. Loved going there. There was a store called either L&L's or L&M's that we frequented too.

The Clapp family were friends with my family. Very nice people and Harry was an amazing guy. He didn't let his looks or disability stop him from doing anything.

Although this is a really old thread and I doubt the OP will ever read this, I have to thank him for starting it. It brought back so many nice memories.

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I am so happy I stumbled upon this thread. I grew up on Cloverdale. Lived there from 1953 until 1970 when I married and moved to North Cape May. This thread has reminded me of what a wonderful childhood I had growing up there. So many memories!

Our bus stop was in front of the Highland Cafe. I remember standing in the doorway during rainy weather. (imagine doing that today). There was a store on the corner of Cloverdale and Bayshore called Clark's (Clarkie's to us). And, of course, the store at Neely's pier. We used walk the beach searching for soda bottles that we would then turn in for two cents each and buy penny candy. Real penny candy.

If I wasn't on the beach or the pier then I was at Bowman's lake. I used to get a season's pass. Loved going there. There was a store called either L&L's or L&M's that we frequented too.

The Clapp family were friends with my family. Very nice people and Harry was an amazing guy. He didn't let his looks or disability stop him from doing anything.

Although this is a really old thread and I doubt the OP will ever read this, I have to thank him for starting it. It brought back so many nice memories.
:wave:..................................

·
Registered
2 Posts
:wave:..................................
Thanks for the communication! I vaguely remember your cousin Ann and aunt Peg. I occasionally drive down Cloverdale and check out the old neighborhood. It's funny how it can look so different yet so the same. I lived at 234 and my grandparents lived next door at 230. When I was very young there was a family that lived in the pink house that would have been next to the Clover Inn by the name of Stewarts. This would have been in the late 50's, early 60's. Mrs Stweart taught me a little ditty: 'Mary had a little lamb, she tied it to the heater and every time it turned around it burnt it's little peter'. I can barely remember my own name but I remember that. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use to go fish at a dock named Franks....May have been in Ocean City, not sure. But I am amazed no-one has mentioned the infamous ..."BLOW FISH"! Use to catch them by the bag load, puffed up and big front teethe. Then go back to the dock and skin them on a nail behind there head and pull out an entire pc. of chicken. Parents use to eat the hecl out of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Bayview

The rail was called the Bayview marina Motel. It was on oak road and owned by my grandparents. Bill and Thelma Dreyer. They also had a lunchonette. What a great childhood growing up on the bay. The piers and rail. Bob Neeley was friends with my grandfather and would come to the marina often. I still remember his orange truck and his very large knuckles from RA. I use to love walking on the coral beds at low tide. The marina was always busy, morning noon and night. My grandparents sold it and the new owners ran the business into the ground what ashame.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts