BASS BARN banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
The rail was called the Bayview marina Motel. It was on oak road and owned by my grandparents. Bill and Thelma Dreyer. They also had a lunchonette. What a great childhood growing up on the bay. The piers and rail. Bob Neeley was friends with my grandfather and would come to the marina often. I still remember his orange truck and his very large knuckles from RA. I use to love walking on the coral beds at low tide. The marina was always busy, morning noon and night. My grandparents sold it and the new owners ran the business into the ground what ashame.
:wave: are you still down there?

·
Registered
21 Posts
For some reason I couldn't think of the name of the original owner of Bayview Marina. I was stuck on the name of Harry for some reason. But now I see it was Tony.:thumbsup:
Actually I'm a little older than all of you folks......the original name of the Bayview/ Bob's/ Tony, etc. was Sheps. Shep actually built the place and it was a pier orginally. He quickly tired of putting it back up every year and converted it to the railway. This was in the mid 50's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wildwood Ave. pier was Walt Soboloski's Pier. Leatherneck and Jackson's were one in the same, just different times. The "green shack" between Wildwood Ave. and Town Bank was called the "Brother's Fishing Lodge". Way back in the day that area was all wooded and I used to gig frogs in the streams running through there. There was a small dinner on Bayshore Road at the south end of the Villas who would buy my frog legs.....that's how I earned my boardwalk money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you all

Thank you all for refreshing my memories ,they were getting very spotty.spent many a summers up on the bay fishing&crabbing from from the old piers a lot of great people and memories,Im glad to hear that a lot of you had great times too Our pearl in the oyster .getting covered in that bay muck ! Riding our bikes on the sandbars at low tide . Grandmom had a house on drumbed rd & 111 woodland ave ,what I wouldn’t give to see us coming home sunburnt,& tar on your feet from walking around the villas all day with no shoes on ! Who remembers the Jeep that used to fog out the neighborhood up &down every street ,or hearing the old ferry whistle at night when it was leaving cape may ! Last but not least lets hear it for K & W ice cream parlor Thank you to all for the memory jog 😎

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
mrgizmo132

did you know any of the names mention ? i dont get to the villas much anymore . i do still have 2 cousins that live there but most of the family moved away or passed on.
my grandparents are buried in st marys cenetary so i visit them occasionally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope folks are still monitoring this page. I have a long history with the Villas and was surprised to come across this site - brought back many, many memories. My first memories of the Villas are as a toddler. We used to visit my Aunt Gerch and Uncle Ricky on Greenwood Ave, just a couple of houses up from Bayshore Road. My adventure at Abbonatti’s pier (which we called “Abbo-nanny’s) came in the summer of ‘62. We rented a place just down from the bay and across from the pier on Schellenger Ave. Things I remember where Mr Abbonatti’s missing finger, the rickety, swaying pier and the smell of skunk. Oh, and my sister’s having to kill the crickets infesting the screened-in porch. The house was still there until recently when it was torn down and a new one built. The pier itself is long gone and a multi-million dollar home is there.

The following year my parents bought a place on Oregon Ave for about 5k. Dead end street, 2nd house from the woods. Small bungalow with no air, no fan and no tv. However plenty of heat, humidity and of course, mosquitos - “7 miles from Wildwood, 7 miles from Cape May, in the middle of nowhere”. We had a big family so the place was always overcrowded, especially on weekends when my Dad would come down from Philly. The place had a double lot so my Dad could grow vegetables for the family for the winter. For my brother and I, it was like being sent to a chain gang for the summer as there was a never ending list of chores to be performed in the aforementioned heat, humidity and mosquitoes. Once in a while we would get a reprieve by a visit to Wildwood or Cape May.

In ‘72 I had my first job working at a gas station/car wash at Bayshore and Pinewood. 60 hours/week, $1/hour. I had a half day on Sunday, and would go to Villas Liquor store across the street and get 3 quarts of Iron City for 99 cents. I would go home and my Dad would make my brother and I liverwurst and toast sandwiches and we’d drink the beer. I was 15 years old. Little did I know that would be my last full summer “downnashore”. I would get back once in awhile for a weekend, but the house passed out of the family in the early ‘80s. Nowadays, I try to get to the shore once a year and always swing through the Villas. The roads looked the same as they did in the ‘60s up until very recently when some attempt at repaving was made.

It was a real trip down memory lane to read through these posts. I was glad to see someone remember L & L’s on Bayshore. It stood for “Lucy and Lollie’s”. You would walk in the door and there was long wooden table on the left covered with all sorts of penny candy. And up against the wall a rack loaded with all sorts of magazines. Also happy to see K&W’s mentioned. Had many a good custard there. Also Frank’s Deli next door - the buildings are all still there, just different occupants. I was also delighted to hear someone mention Dan’s. Dan was a great guy, a Vietnam vet. They made the best milkshakes I ever had. I always wondered what happened to him. Someone had mentioned about the old blind guy cashier - wow! Haven’t thought about him for years!

A few other random memories: the 7-11 at Kentucky and Bayshore (now gone) and empty lot that was there before it was built. They used to hold a circus there once a year. Going to the shopping center in North Cape May - the Ak-a-mee, Handyman Haven and Dellas. Village Lumber, Gaiss, Sunday morning mass in the gym at St Raymond’s. St Raymond’s fish fry on Friday nights ($.99), May Linington’s realty. All the great bakeries - Latimer’s, the Italian bakery across from St Raymonds had great rolls. There was also a vacant place nearby called “Hole in the Wall” donuts. Fireworks on the 4th of July at the ball field. And the firehouse re-built twice over that time.

I thank all that posted for bringing back many memories. I‘ll be back in a few weeks with my siblings and their spouses to tour the old haunts. I’ll be sure to point them to this site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BTW…I forgot. Yeah I remember Bowman’s lake. Couldn’t afford the membership, but used to go there to play miniature golf. The remains are still there. Of course, I also used to run behind the mosquito Jeep :oops:. Finally, there was a gun club back in the woods from Arizona Ave. We used to go back through the woods to pick up spent cartridges.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts