BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,
I've been wanting to give the sod banks a shot for a while but i'm not quite sure how to get into it. I have a couple simple questions...
1.) Do u wear waders or mud boots while walking the banks?
2.) Can u only walk them at low tide?
3.) Do you need a net to land your fish?
4.) Where are good general areas (not spots) to walk the banks near around Avalon manner?

Thanks guys, any other tips or pointers would be much appreciated. :cool:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Take it slow and be careful. Watch out for deep cracks in the sod, especially at night. Bringing a walking stick to probe with might not be a bad idea. Cracks or holes in the sod are almost impossible to see at night, even with a head lamp on.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I agree with bass media. You can get messed up quick. You step on something that looks solid and it just sucks you in and you are face first in some sharp reeds. I use boot foot waders because its easier to walk in the water sometimes. Make sure they fit tight around the foot or the mud tries to suck them off. If you go with calf boots a pair of neoprene gaiters are very handy for keeping the occassional wave from flooding your boot with sand and keeps mud out if you sink in on shore. Right now you can walk along the banks but once the reeds grow it's a little tough. I carry a modified trout net with a deep rubber net so it doesn't hook up. But a friend made a very cool net with an umbrella spike on the handle that he rams in the bank as a walking stick, very handy. I also use a small front pack for tackle and a backpack for packing stuff in and out. Check the incoming bridges for parking and access.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Mike

1) waders all the way. You will need a heavy and light pair for the seasons. Tight-fitted, dry suit for both.

2)Any tide will produce, but this takes us into

3) high tide you can skim the fish right to your feet. Low tide, well, extended boga grip is the best, you will want to travel light. Going in is always an option as well

4) there is no secret when it comes to land spots, trust me, your most limiting factor is how far or to what extreme you are willing to go along any bank. Either way shoot me an e-mail if you wish, I will point you in the right direction.

Polarized sun glasses during the day, miners light at night a must.

Have fun

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Mike - one of the most interesting things about sod bank fishing is you get to sight cast to specific fish that will be right up against the bank or even way up these tiny feeder creeks. You have to do a bit of stalking also. Ya can't just walk right up to them since the banks are soft and wet - this translates your foot falls right into the surrounding water. So, go slow and walk lightly - you will be able to sneak up on more fish this way.

The worst thing to prepare for when bank fishing is the buggy nights when there is no wind - this can be some of the best fishing so come prepared with some way to deal with skeeters and knats.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Excellent information guys- want to try it myself but i think my first few times should be during the day and with a partner, huh?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by jim rosen:
Excellent information guys- want to try it myself but i think my first few times should be during the day and with a partner, huh?
Very good idea! :D

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
A few important things to remember. Sod banks are structure. The area I fish from boat has a twenty to thirty foot drop from top to bottom of the sod bank. That gives gamefish a twenty foot plus wall with food from top to bottom. Crabs, small fish, shrimp, eels and the list goes on live up and down that wall. Game fish just cruise up and down looking for something to come out far enough to wack.

What many anglers don't realize is that the wall isn't straight up and down. A few times I have hooked a striper from my boat about ten feet from the sod bank. The fish will turn and run for about thirty feet right at the bank. I kept waiting for the thunk when it hit the bank but there wasn't any. Many sections of sod bank have been hollowed out buy the current. The sod is the last to go because the roots hold the ground together while below the mud just falls apart. It's almost like a cave under there. The sod you walk on is the roof of the cave.

Walk softly when you get near the edge of the sod. Think of it as walking on a drum and a lot of thumping will send the fish on their way. Also make sure the sod is strong enough to support your weight.

If you don't see fish near the surface feeding then figure that they are down deep. Like I said it is a twenty foot plus wall with food. Sometimes the action is near the top and sometimes near the bottom.

Good luck. :cool:

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Also, stay away from the tall grass ( S. alternaflora ). Unless you want to get muddy up to your chin... :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys,
Great info. I'm gonna have to go on a couple day trips before i can think about goin out at night. I'm also going to have to head out with a partner like JR said earlier. That sight fishing approach sounds sweet. Thanks again for the awesome pointers fellas, i definitely want to give the banks a shot now. :D

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
P Mike,

I asked about this at the end of last season. The reply about the fish running under the sod and kept going got me interested. The next day I found a sod bank and gently jumped up and down. The whole area bounced up and down like a large trampeline and I was about 20' from the edge.

This year I'm fishing the sods like I fish for fresh water bass from my boat. I'm going to cruise the shoreline pitching to the structure.

Since we're both in Lansdowne, we'll have to head out together(when the wife lets me out).

Al

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Al,
That'd be cool to get out and stalk the banks with you man. Unfortunately i'm kinda in the same situation when it comes to getting out, school still owns the rights to my free time for 25 more days. I think a few "me" days are on the way though.... :D

[ 04-28-2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Pelagic Mike ]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mike,
Is Plumbstead Ave. anywhere around you? Gotta Bro in law there. Anyway I think some of the best fishing is probably in fishing to sod banks and reeds from the water. Lots of folks fishing the Del Bay don't even know the big bass are partying in the shallows at times and can be caught. It's like a different world though. I mean some bigger boats just can't get in the shallows too well. I'm expecting more and more people to buy smaller flat bottom, push pole types or at least small engines adjustable for very shallow. The weaks get in the shallows real good sometimes too.
skip

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bunker,
That's nuts bro, Plumstead is right down the street from my house! LOL U do have a point about workin the banks from boat and i do have a 12ft. aluminum with a 6 hp Merc but its kinda pushin the envelope in terms of sea worthiness, even for the back bays. I would like to get like a Carolina skiff or a Maritime skiff in the 17-19' range but that's a little ways off in the future. I really wanna get out into the back for some skinny water stripers this season though. :cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
that what im after a 17 foot skiff i have a 14 with a 9.9 honda on it it does good, real quiet so i can stalk the banks a lil better but all i can catch is blues and the ocasional weaky but i dont fish the banks enough to really hit em good ill throw plastic for a few casts then move on, if no fish ill go drist for flounder

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Mike,
Do you have an email? Finals end in a few days and Im always looking for someone to go out, im off friday, sat, sunday. I do occasional sod fishing but almost entirely something on one of my boats. I'm at Nova now (you were the one at O'Hara, right?) but I live five miles north of Avalon Manor in Seaville. You see, us young guys on the board have got to stick together

What would be the opposite of the Anciet Mariner's Club???

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sir Reel,
Woa Woa Woa buddy O'hara???? Its Bonner pal, and don't forget it hahahahaha
:D :D Yea i should be finnishing up my finals by the end of May so i'll be able to get out a lot more in about a month. I'm not sure if i'm gonna be able to fish with u next year tho because u go to Nova and i'll be going to La Salle. haha
:D Dude i grew up fishing on the Manor and i'm all for starting up a anglers club LOL i can see it now.......... The Collegiate Mariners hahahha :D :cool: I'll shoot u an email soon bro

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Sorry, been through this before with people...too many of us Catholics around to keep all the schools stright... You'll have fun at LaSalle though, lots of friends there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts