BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I called a few local guys to blast the shamrock. One guy gave me a ridiculously low price by never showed. Did not want to trailer to NJ so I started to look at some options. Got an email from Harbor Freight with a soda blaster on sale for $99. I had a merch credit so I said what the hell. Picked it up for $99 on sale with a 20% coupon $79 out the door. Two bags of soda media (50lbs each) were $35 a piece.

Got home and fired her up. Works like a charm, only problem is the gun is about 4 mil so it cleans a pin point size :D
Too small. Took her back and talked to the guys at the store.

The recommended this...

Gave me the unit for the same price (regular price was $129)
It holds 110lbs of media.
I have a very nice compressor at home, not commercial but high CFM.
I took this home, put it together in 15 minutes and started blasting my transom.
WOW... Works GREAT.
A few observations.
First I put down a tarp, but had no idea just how messy this can be
I had the respirator and mask on, which is a must. Second, you have to move quickly and it works much better side to side. I tried different level of compression. At 75lbs I had the best removal.
I was shocked at how smooth the finish is. Unlike sand blasting, this feels like it was sanded with 220. I only got through a small portion of the transom and the tabs, by then I realized I need a better system to contain the overspray. I am going to get some good quality plastic tarps and do it right. I will post some pics of the transom after the battery in the camera charges :D
It took about 10 minutes to remove 4-5 layers of bottom paint from the transom and trim tabs.
A few other notes. This will not put the soda blaster guys out of business. Without a good compressor it would not be possible to keep up with the blaster. The media is expensive, so again the price the blaster guys charge is way more than fair for the job. If you have a good compressor and the time this may be a good project. Some people reclaim the soda and try to reuse. I do not think this would work as paint chips etc would foul of the nozzle.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Looking forward to the pic`s Joe.
Good old Harbor freight.:D
Whats your CFM on your compressor?
May be I could rent the blaster have a compressor.
What does the media consist of ????
Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking forward to the pic`s Joe.
Good old Harbor freight.:D
Whats your CFM on your compressor?
May be I could rent the blaster have a compressor.
What does the media consist of ????
Thanks, Rob.
The compressor is 9 CFM.

Here is a very short video clip of the baster in action.
I took off my gloves so I could shoot the video.
just a fast sample

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUjP2sPoqAQ

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
689 Posts
3100....don't know where you are located but we sure would've given ya a nice price and showed up for the job.....with that said i have one VERY, VERY, VERY,VERY, VERY(get the point) important tip for you....it's about the respirator......don't know what you are using but my guess is you won't be in that tent long and you just may be shorting your stay on the planet without a fresh-air providing item....make sure you have someboby there with ya incase something goes wrong.............

again a VERY important tip for ya...good luck

J LITT
COASTAL SODA BLASTING
856 889 4412
609 413 4436

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Good post J litt here's the answer

Guys,

I play with fiberglass a lot. I grind a lot. I've sandblasted some, etc.

I don't like fumes and dust. Organic respirators scare me, how do you know it's getting everything? So, what's the solution??

pony up the money for a "hobby air" system. I bought one years ago and it's my single favorite "tool".

You get a full face mask, 80 foot of hose and an "air pump". You place the pump well away from your work area and it pumps fresh air into your full face mask. Because there's fresh air coming in constantly, it never fogs up.

this is the one I have, although I upgraded from 40' to 80' of hose

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=AXS+HB01F

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.