BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a couple off the sods near Shooting Thoroughfare. Waited until amost slack tide and tossed my anchor on the bank. caught 1 then went an hour w/o a bite. Moved to a different spot got #2 and lost some bait started to get some real action going. Watched this weedline approaching and when it passed the tide was running at about 5 knots. Pushed the boat around and couldn't get the baits to set right so I called it a day. Thanks to all for the advice that made this possible. i didn't limit ou but I learned a new technique and was persistent. Also met Wasted Bait and his father out there. Nice to meet you guys.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Vital,

Glad you got some. It's not easy in there. You've got a small window. Gotta make sure you're set and ready. That's what I love about fishing the salt and using this site. There's always a new challange out there. Hope they were Keepers!!! Enjoy!

·
Registered
689 Posts
vital signs you can catch them tog all day .they shift spots on the change of tide and that is when you are catching them,move down tide and find a bank that sticks out a little the tog will be behind in in the slower current.i got people down this weekend,maybe next weekend i will show you where to catch them .try across from fish factory on the incoming tide.louis

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm cooking them up tonight with some shrimp my dad brought back from Florida. That makes sense Louis they can't just eat at that short time. I saw some other guys on the bank over by the Stinkhouse.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
DO THEY STAY ON THE SODBANKS IN THE SUMMER?
Big time stays! Just remember the biggins tend to be teritioral on the sods ;) unlike the inlets = pull a couple & move & so on IMHO. Come back after a few days & another has "moved in" to replace that keeper.

[ 05-13-2006, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: clamchucker ]

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
when is the best time to catch tog? 1 hour before and after slack tide? or during slack tide?

what kind of rig are you using? Is it top and bottom rig or tandem hook rig?

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Use a top and bottom. two dropper loops surgeons loop on either end. I just tried a new rig that was in the New Jersey Angler Mag that uses two octopus hooks snelled inline and it seemed to work very well. With this rig there is no slack at all in the line you feel every tap immediately. I have limited tog experience so I'm still not proficient in the swing. but I think my average will increase. I see the biggest problem with fishing the sods in the summer is the constant traffic in the area. When your on the bank the wakes are very uncomfortable and magnified. Some of the larger boats going by can be downright scary.

[ 05-14-2006, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Vitalsigns ]

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
vitalsigns,
Thanks for reply. I read about that new rig in NJ angler going to have to give it a try, good luck with it. I also fish greatbay area, I know what you mean when your on the banks and the wakes make you nervous on the weekends because I always wanted to anchor near the old coast guard bank. I have done ok across from the fish factory.

Anybody fish for tog at the creek behind the fish factory?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts