BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was contemplating getting a new setup this winter for walking the sodbanks. I currently use an 8 foot St Croix heavy action rod & a Diawa Team Advantage Reel. Nice setup, versitle too. I use it mostly for stripers in the river from shore & I began using it to throw some artificials in the surf this year. Only problem is I think it may be a bit too much for throwing small fin-s jigs & stuff like that. I was maybe thinking of just getting the same thing but just downsized. Any sugestions of maybe a cheaper rod though that still has some quality to it? Also fee free to post whatever setups you guys use.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have a very similar setup and like it as well.
I also wanted a lighter rod for throwing smaller
lures and went with a GL3. They are a bit more
expensive, but well worth it...SJR843 is the
model. I use it with both the advantage 2500
and 3500. Awesome combo!

If you want to go cheaper, check the St. Croix
premier series. Good rod for the buck, but I
would spend the extra for a loomis. They have a
better warranty program. If you ever break it,
they'll send you a new one for $50.

[ 01-13-2005, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: earlybird ]

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by earlybird:
Is the St. Croix you are using now a Tidemaster?
Yep, I love it for stripers from the riverbank & caught my first ever stripers on artificials with it this year (bait fisherman)

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
mch,,
Versitle is the key when stalking the sodbanks,
being able to change your lure or increase your
casting distance/accuracy on the fly is very important at times.....

I have experimented with different setups for
this type of fishing over the years and I think my
favorite combo would be my 8'St.Croix Tidemaster
with a Shimano Sustain 4000 and 20lb PowerPro.
The Rod is rated to throw 1/2-2oz's..I can use
light jigs,small bombers and heavier plugs if
need to....

My UltraLight Outfit that I use is a 7'Loomis IMX
with the same Shimano Sustain 4000..But Since Its
Only Rated for 1/4-3/4oz's I am limited to smaller lures etc..
Although The Fight With A 20lber is Fantastic....

Late in the Season,My BigGun comes out and for the most
part because I fish the Back and Surf
alot during this time,its my 9'Lamiglass with a
VS150,Big Lures=Big Fish rated for 1-3oz and I
can cast a mile with it....

So,in the end the 8 foot rod doe's seem to get
most of the action during the season...It's Light
I Can Cast It All Night,Strong and Very Versitle
for me...

If you really want to use just very light artificals
I would suggest say going down to a Med.or Lgt
action 8 footer..

Good Luck,,,

[ 01-13-2005, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
908 Posts
Originally posted by mch:
Yep, I love it for stripers from the riverbank & caught my first ever stripers on artificials with it this year (bait fisherman)
It'll be tough going back. Since I caught my
first bass on a plug, I haven't used bait.
I'll drift eels on occasion, but nothing beats
outsmarting a striper.

·
Registered
452 Posts
After reading what you guys use, I feel like I use some light tackle in comparison. I use a 6'6 or 7'0 ugly stik lite, medium heavy. I never really thought of these as short rods, but I don't own anything longer, so I don't know what I'm missing. Anyway, I have both rods equipped with an okuma epixor, EF 40. The 6'6 has 15lb power pro, and the 7'0 is spooled with 20. I normally use lures with these rods, and rarely throw anything heavier than an once. I primarily use storms, poppers, small bucktails, fin-s's, bombers and small metals, and both rods have no trouble heaving a 1/2 once kastmaster 150+ feet. I have used the 6'6 ugly stik for 3 seasons now, and it still hasnt broken or worn out. Both rods are 40 bucks, and for that money, they have performed exceptionally well.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
If you would like to stay with a rod along the same lines and not go to high end. I would say the St.Croix Tidemaster TS76MF or the TS76MM. I would fit it with a Shimano Sustain 4000 or the Stradic 4000. The MF is medium power - fast action and the MM is medium action medium power, both these rods are rated 1/4oz ? 3/4oz. These are both great rods and handle most of the fishing you will do from the sod. I can say this because three of the people I fish with have these exact setups. But the final decision will be up to you. Only you can tell what feels the best to you. If you can try out some of your friend rods when you are out. This will give you a better feel.

This past season fishing the back bay, I used a Custom built Lamiglas GSH901MT blank. This blank is rated 1/4oz - 1 3/4oz and is 7'6". The reel was a Shimano Sustain 4000. This rod gave me allot of options throwing artificial. I also use a lommis GL3 HSR 9303. This rod is rated 1/4oz ? 5/8 oz and is 7?9 ? with the same reel. This gets most if it use targeting weakfish and when I wanted a lighter action setup. I also use another rod just for throwing soft plastics at certain locations; this rod is only 6? with a Shimano Stradic. All rods a fished with braid, I do have spare spools with flouro on them

When I am fishing the beach side I have been using a custom Lamiglas GSB1081L blank. This blank is rated 1/2oz - 2 1/2oz and is 9?; the reel is a VS150 with braid.

I have found the need to throw 4oz and larger plugs and bucktails; these rods will not do it. That one will be ready for this season, come on spring.

[ 01-13-2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Bay Stalker ]

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I use the 7'6" Tidemaster with a Stradic 4000. It the most versitle set up I have. Light plugging in the surf, jettys and sods to jigging on a bridge. You can't go wrong!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I love my falcon low rider 7 foot, medium action setup with a penn 4500. Since i fish on my kayak so often, the salt kinda destroyed the penn's anti-reverse but penn reels is close by and can be easily seviced in philly. It is perfect for bucktails under 3/4 of and ounce and great for bombers around the banks. i sometimes wish it was a bit longer so i could squeeze some more casting distance out of it, but while wading and kayaking it really isn't needed too much. The setup lasted me for 5 years and is still going strong!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.