BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any local supplier have softshells from NJ yet???

had a couple from MD last night...ned some local softies now. Guatemala Dave???

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Marie's in Sea Isle had them the other week. Not sure if they were locale but they sure were good. I think they were like 4.50 ea..

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Softies were superb the last week or so...and prices have been reasonable this spring.

I only got a dozen for work this past weekend to run as an app tempura fried with a lemon caper brown butter vinagrette and some wakame salad...

they were extremely silky, fat whales at $32/dozen...in recent years they've been as high as fifty-something.

[ 05-23-2006, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: glennexit13 ]

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The Crabbers are just starting to put out the shedder pots on the Ocean side and unfortunately I probably won't have softshells for the Memorial day weekend, but look for some fresh live NJ softshells by mid week next week.

If you want to freeze some this first shed is the time to do it and the price is always the best all year. When they start bustin' I'll have plenty for about two weeks then things slow down, unless the Delaware Bay gets a good shed and right now the word is that there is sign for a big one there.

If you want a couple for dinner, a few dozen for a party or if you want the freshest softshells to serve your customers in a restruant or seafood store give me a call 484-0409

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Dave...I visit your tanks once or twice per year and buy a couple dozen. We clean, vacuum seal, and freeze them in packages of three per and we have a taste of summer all winter long. Plus, this fall our duck hunting club wants to have a few while at camp.

I will be over next week.

[ 05-24-2006, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: MakeMeNuts ]

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The crabbers did bring in a few shedders yesterday afternoon. They are ripe males and ready for bait. I even have a handfull of softshells out already. I will have plenty of shedder crabs for the weekend.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Squidder, if your willing to take a ride try Allen's Clam Bar in New Gretna on Route 9 (take the first exit off the Parkway north of the Mullica River). They have a great fried soft shell crab dish for around 10 bucks.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Guys, if you want your shot at a true TideRunner Weakfish quarter up a shedder Crab and that will give you (4)good pieces of bait.Not sure what a whole crab is going for this year but you don't need that big of a bait to catch them,so get the most out of them.. Keep Them Alive For Maximun Effectivness Before Hand...
Drop it anywhere along the South Jersey ICW sodbanks from say 5-8AM before the boat traffic gets crazy and you should hook up and you might even pick up some nice Bass also this way..

Good Luck Out There..

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Originally posted by Pinerat:
Squidder, if your willing to take a ride try Allen's Clam Bar in New Gretna on Route 9 (take the first exit off the Parkway north of the Mullica River). They have a great fried soft shell crab dish for around 10 bucks.
They also have a nice crab cake sandwhich!My personal favorite :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts