BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday I decided to go flukin at the G.E. reef. BENT ROD and myself hopped on my skiff (17' Carolina skiff) and headed out. Wind was blowin pretty good and it was kinda rough. We made it there and managed some decent fishing. While out there the wind picked up even more. Had one wave break over the bow. We pulled the plug and I ran slowly till the water drained. We were laughing and some of the funny looks we were getting. At no point was I ever worried, even though I have no radio :eek: .
I'll have a radio hooked up shortly, but other than that, I have no problem runing the 8 or 9 miles.
Bent Rod used to have the same boat and once ran it to the A.C. ridge. He knows the limitations of this boat and said not to worry.
Does anyone think this is to far?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Ah Ive seen you out in your Yak in Dec, and I thought you were nuts then.....
I think it would have to be flat calm for me to run that far with a lil skiff and with NO radio.
Hopefully Id have other buddies in bigger boats near by to pick me up when we sank.

Be safe But have fun too

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
EELBALL---IF THE BREEZE GOT TO BE 17 OR 18 THE SOME WHO THINK YOUR CRAZY JUST MIGHT BE RIGHT,BUT YOU DIDN'T ASK THEM TO GO SO IF YOU WANT TO SWIM SO BE IT.DID YOU HAVE YOUR CELL WITH YOU?AT LEAST THERE WERE BOATS AROUND. YOU GOT BIG ONES. GOOD FISHING.HOW HARD WAS IT BLOWING?REMEMBER YOU ASKED.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by eelball:
Carolina Skiffs don't sink :D
Yea but if you rolled it you would have a hard time getting back over in 60 ft of water.
:eek:

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were only about 5 boats out there, and they were pretty spread out. It was blowin pretty good.. If I had to guess...say 15kts, maybe more. Steep chop. And yes, If it flipped, I'd be F'd. No cell phone.

·
Registered
329 Posts
How 'bout this one...

I'm looking at a picture right now from the September 5, 1974 edition of The Fisherman with two guys showing off a 78-pound white marlin.

Caption reads: Ralph Larned and Clay Adams fished a 16-foot Boston Whaler at 28 Mile Wreck with balao for this 78lb white marlin.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My old Bosses brother lived in margate and used to go for yellowfin all the time in his 20ft Mako, he USED to bring 75gallons of xtra fuel with him for the run out and back by himself.

From how the story goes he called his wife said he limited out and was on his way back in was only 14 miles away from home, and was NEVER heard from again. no boat, no debrias floating. That day If i remember right a water funnel hit Margate or Vetnor and did a some damage to some beach homes.

Yes he was nuts too and now hes gone.Only takes one bad time out on the water and Eelball your playing Russian roulette, guess you dont want to see you kids grow up?????

I was in a storm that just came up out of knowwhere out of seaside, I was young and my dad was a careful boater but we got caught in what i thought was the end of the world and the boat took a wave wrong and we were in the water! I tried to hold on but couldnt, I dont remember how but we all made it to shore, just not together
Me, Dad, Mom and my lil brother. washed up on a beach and we knocked on a beach houses door for help.

I know you think its funny and it CANT happen to you but anythings possible.

Put a dam radio on your boat and Buy a prepay cell phone...LOL

Be safe man , hope to see you this Fall

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
OHHHHHHHH Lord My Boat is so Small and thy Sea is so Great! And a time will pass and all shall rise to be with the Father and none shall hunger for truth, and the belly of the Whale shall spit forth those consumed in bad judgement! :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a 16 skiff with a fourstoke 40 on it. I take it out front all the time. The one thing that worries me about this boat is not that it will sink but flip over if caught the wrong way by a wave. I went out on saturday out front and it was just too rough. I turned and came back in. I am planning on going out to the cape may reef on saturday, and I will be shore to get some odd stares from the other boaters( oh well) guys in little boats like to catch fish too

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good judgement, Bad judgement. Comes down to one thing. My judgement. I'm not saying i'll run out there with a bad or even borderline forecast. But a favorable forcast and I'll do it over and over.

·
Registered
342 Posts
eelball id be there with you in a heart beat! Anyone interested in joining me at the cape may reef on saturday? it will be me in my skiff

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by Verse:
Anyone interested in joining me at the cape may reef on saturday? it will be me in my skiff
Be Careful:
Here's the Coast Waters Forcast for Sat.8/14
SAT
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING E 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP
TO 45 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SAT NIGHT
SE WINDS AROUND 35 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 45
KT...DECREASING TO 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT LATE. SEAS 3
TO 5 FT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

·
Registered
723 Posts
verse i will take the trip with you nothing like a long swim home :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yo George....Got to give it to ya...I'm nervous about getting out the inlet with my 21' starcraft because i'm just not comfortable and experienced enough with the rough water...But i'd love to follow you one day...Good to see ya and i have a radio:)....Later Pazman

·
Registered
600 Posts
eelball
a radio or a phone will help if the boat flips, you should get a EPIRB if the boats flips help will be on the way,ah $#@% it you can only drown once!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts