BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at the drawings on-line for the area around the soon-to- be-gone circle and it shows a boat ramp and parking lot where the Gulf station is/was. Anyone have a line on this? Is this a car top type ramp or a 'real' boat ramp like Tennesee Ave?

From the drawing it looks like a divided 2-lane ramp and parking area. Be nice if I could trailer and launch my 16 ft skiff there. It looks like the ramp ends under the original bridge. The current can really rip through there at times. Maybe the new bridge supports would be a barrier. Any plus or minus to this 'improvement'?

Regards,

S.B

·
Registered
735 Posts
I was just looking at the drawings on-line for the area around the soon-to- be-gone circle and it shows a boat ramp and parking lot where the Gulf station is/was. Anyone have a line on this? Is this a car top type ramp or a 'real' boat ramp like Tennesee Ave?

From the drawing it looks like a divided 2-lane ramp and parking area. Be nice if I could trailer and launch my 16 ft skiff there. It looks like the ramp ends under the original bridge. The current can really rip through there at times. Maybe the new bridge supports would be a barrier. Any plus or minus to this 'improvement'?

Regards,

S.B
I just saw an article the other day that mentioned where the boat ramp will be located (right where current bridge is) and that the parking for it will be
where the old Gulf station was and overflow parking will be where the Pearl
Restaurant currently sits. You're right about the current through there being strong. They would need a "breakwater" or some sort of barrier because otherwise it will be very difficult to manage getting a boat on a trailer.
I think you can see actual renderings of the plans @ City Hall in Ocean City
to obtain the details.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
very little water at low tide, I never used the ramp but was told it is bad at low water

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I haven't fished the OC area since they started all the construction on rte 52, when is it supposed to be finished? are they going to have fishing areas on the new bridges when it is complete? I always enjoyed fishing those bridges & sods, I hope they allow access for fishermen

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The kennedy ramp is very convenient and the price is right. The water gets real low there. I have a 21ft boat and will not attempt kennedy beyond half tide. There is a deepwater ramp just past waterfront marine. It is half way between waterfront and the grady dealer. That was suggested to me becaue I had to put in at dead low. There was 5ft there at dead low. I was amazed.

The water is really shallow up against that bridge on the kennedy side. There is a dock there that I tried to use to pick up beer and it was super low and treacherous because of the waves.

But on another note why another boat ramp? There are plenty in the area. Why not make it into sods and beach instead of concrete. Oh yeah.....profits.

-Matt

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That ramp is at Smith's, I think. Parking on Bay Ave is really difficult for a slip renter let alone a trailer-boater. There are a lot of ramps around but few are maintained. The two best I've seen so far are the one at Tennessee Ave and one at Shady River Marina on the Great Egg. However, parking at Shady River is iffy during the season.

I'm not sure about the ramp at the Tuckahoe Inn. That may be a problem too at low tide. I'll stick to Tennessee for the OC area for now.

Regards,

S.B

·
Registered
427 Posts
I haven't fished the OC area since they started all the construction on rte 52, when is it supposed to be finished? are they going to have fishing areas on the new bridges when it is complete? I always enjoyed fishing those bridges & sods, I hope they allow access for fishermen

According to the original plans they are supposed to have fishing areas. However, based on prior bridges that have been rebuilt with "fishing" areas I wouldn't expect too much. It seems like the engineers who design bridges are not fishermen and think that any water is fishable and a small, small area is fine for the public. I hate to be pessimistic, but look for a couple of small, overcrowded fishing access areas over shallow water that is probably mud 12 hours a day.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The project is supposed to be completed in 2012. I don't know if they are ahead/behind schedule. On the OC side, I will be bummed when they take down the old 9th street bridge. There is a certain spot under there that holds the motherload of tog.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I used to love fishing those bridges years back, was fun dodging cops and cars, haven't fished that area since they started construction, looking forward to completion of the construction:wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.